PDA

View Full Version : One crew down stops entire flight ?

Lancair70
29th May 2014, 07:26
http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/abusive-jetstar-passenger-leaves-267-holidaymakers-stranded-in-bali-after-inflight-drama-on-jetstar-plane/story-fnii5v6w-1226935761271

My question is this, why couldn't the aircraft and crew, minus 1 and minus the appropriate pax to be legal re attendants per pax ratios, have made the return flight? Therfore not inconveniencing ALL pax and the aircraft's own roster and all the pax that affects.

I was on a Perth_Brisbane VA flight, where 1 crew member had been unavailable, they asked IIRC 10 pax to disembark and go to BNE via ML or SYD flights rather than stop the whole aircraft load.

Mods, if this is better asked elsewhere, please move it.

Lancair70

nitpicker330
29th May 2014, 07:59
In my mob we need a minim of 1 crew per door, so 8 doors on an A330 minimum 8 cabin crew.

Maybe Jokestar are already at the minimum crew and thus couldn't reduce?

They are a cut to the bone cheap LCC aren't they?

Lookleft
29th May 2014, 08:25
That would be the problem precisely NP. I have ferried from PER to MEL more than once because of losing 1 CC and no longer having the required number.

ButFli
29th May 2014, 10:50
That's how low cost carriers work - only enough cabin crew to meet the legal minimum.

One cabin crew member goes U/S at an outstation and the flight has to be canceled.

nitpicker330
29th May 2014, 11:06
That's the risk they take........:D

Lord Spandex Masher
29th May 2014, 11:20
Nitpicker, I've never heard of 1 hostie /door only the 1 hostie/50 seats rule. Is your rule the limiting one or do you still have the 1/50 seats minimum?

If a hostie does go LBU down route can you limit the number of passengers, as we can, if you need to or are you still stuck with 1/door?

004wercras
29th May 2014, 11:22
Just had to pick myself up of the floor - Lord Spandex Masher!! That's gotta be one of the funniest user names I have seen yet :ok:
10/10 Masher, watch them potatoes!!!

nitpicker330
30th May 2014, 00:08
I don't work for an Aussie Airline, mine is controlled by HK CAD.

That's our rule, 1 cabin crew per door.

Required Complement The complement specified shall be that calculated in accordance with Article 18(7) (c) of the Air Navigation (Hong Kong) Order 1995. Wide bodied aircraft require one Cabin Crew member per door, designated as an Emergency Exit, whichever is the higher. In exceptional circumstances the complement may be reduced and shall become that specified in a Permission granted in accordance with the provision to Article 18(7).

Pappa Smurf
30th May 2014, 00:53
Why is it then,a passenger who has a seat next to a door,has a special briefing on how to open it in an emergency.
Cant be to hard then.

KRviator
30th May 2014, 02:32
I've flown lots of flights seated in exit rows and never had a briefing on how to open a door.

Overwing exits yes, but never the doors. Ever.

Roller Merlin
30th May 2014, 02:56
Have been informed that this flight was minimum legal crew - that is 8 FA for the A330. So in this case the return flight could not operate back with less than 8 FA with any number of pax. The FA fly up and back in the one night, pilots get off and stay. FA are often rostered to do double over two days, and even triple Bali returns over three, and they are wrecked after these shifts.

I gotta say the FA are increasingly exposed to abuse from intoxicated or angry pax, and seems often on Bali flights. Hats off to calling enough in this case. If it is illegal behaviour in an Australian workplace, what makes people think it is not the same on an Aussie aircraft!

JQ A330 have some of the highest utilisation rates - it is common to see 18-20 hours flown by an aircraft in past 24 hours. Ops would likely have made the decision to fly it back empty and avoid more expensive knock-on disruptions to other flights for that aircraft. Seems that the more normal 9FA would be worthwhile insurance.

Lookleft
30th May 2014, 03:02
Why is it then,a passenger who has a seat next to a door,has a special briefing on how to open it in an emergency.
Cant be to hard then.

Neither is undoing a seat belt but there have been plenty of occasions in emergencies that pax can't even do that. The pax assisting in an emergency was the justification used to reduce the cabin crew numbers. When the test was done with an evacuation with reduced crew numbers they only had to use a third of the possible number of pax. Just to put it in to context, a fully loaded A321 takes almost half the pax load of a 744 but only has a third of the F/A's to assist in an evacuation. Next time you are in an emergency exit I would pay attention. BTW you have to be considered able bodied to sit in an emergency exit but you can drink until the F/A considers you have had enough.

Metro man
30th May 2014, 04:02
Times have changed since Ansett then. There was a case of a cabin crew member going sick and the rest of the crew refused to operate the flight even though they were still one crew in EXCESS of the legal minimum.

The union agreement specified a certain number of crew for a flight and they refused to make an exception.

illusion
30th May 2014, 07:18
Metro,

Dare say the precious little things would have a different attitude if they had another chance:ugh: