PDA

View Full Version : Go around without missed app procedure.

hoaiphuongNgo
28th May 2014, 21:51
Hi all,
I'm an ATC at a domestic airport in the Middle of Vietnam, using none-radar app procedure (VOR/DME approach RWY33 only).In case an aircraft (IFR) while circling to land RWY15 due strong tailwind (150 degree 12 knots e.g), he executes missed approach on short final of RWY15, so which procedure he should follow? I'd used to giving instructions :"maintain RWY heading until passing 6000 ft right turn to PCA VOR "(6000 ft :MSA, and initial app altitude also),but I'm not sure it is correct. OCA for circling is 605 meters (2000 ft) applied for a/c C or D.
So, could someone give me an advisory ? Tks all bro😊

Mikehotel152
28th May 2014, 22:10
Here in Europe I'd expect to fly the missed approach for the instrument approach flown. In other words, climb to circling minima, turn to the circling side and join the runway 33 non-precision approach missed approach.

hotspot1
29th May 2014, 06:51
A go around and conducting a full missed approach procedure can be two totally different things.

It sounds like in the case you describe, the aircraft has conducted the instrument approach and broken visual above the minima and then circled for Rwy15. In this case, (unless specifically mentioned by the pilot they want to conduct the missed approach procedure), and traffic permitting and that aircraft is able to maintain visual in circling area, I would instruct the pilot to join for a right or left circuit for Rwy33.
Otherwise if they want a full missed approach, then the pilot should follow the full missed approach procedure that is published as part of the approach shown on the approach plate.

Hope that helps

sheepless
29th May 2014, 13:24
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/70098-missed-approach-go-around-when-visual.html

Might help

hoaiphuongNgo
11th Jun 2014, 03:26
Tks all 4 your help!:O
@Mr hotspot1: I'm still in dark with "go around and execute a missed approach procedure are different".Could you give me more details?I'm used to thinking they are the same :*
@Mr sheepless: tks your useful link!:ok:

topdrop
11th Jun 2014, 04:20
Go round - apply power, raise gear flaps etc.
Missed approach - follow the missed approach procedure of an instrument approach. If you are on an instrument approach and discontinue the approach, go round and missed approach are both done virtually at the same time.
If you are visually circling after an instrument approach and not in a position to take up the missed approach the procedure is go round, circle towards the centre of the airport and when you can take up the missed approach.