PDA

View Full Version : SRG Greenfield examination

261_p
26th May 2014, 21:55
Can anyone out there tell me what is involved in a Greenfield exam from SRG?

I have one scheduled in a couple of weeks and no one seems to be able to tell me what's involved in it?

Is it normally mats one and two?

Complicating things further is that our airfield is MAA regulated so uses the military MATAM rather than the mats 1 and isn't yet a mats 2, only a raf controller order book.

Any info appreciated

Thanks

chevvron
27th May 2014, 08:22
If you're civilian and operating MOD procedures ie not complying with CAP670, you may have a problem.
Did SRG not require a copy of MATS Pt 2 before you booked the exam or did they accept the FOB?
Didn't your ANSP investigate this before booking SRG?

261_p
27th May 2014, 11:24
The ANSP have issued just issued the mats 2 this morning so I assume this has gone to srg as well.

chevvron
27th May 2014, 16:31
I would guess that when you or your management are happy with the operations, (in my case it was to be about 4 weeks but the contract got cancelled) SRG will come along and watch you then give you an oral test. They're also likely to pitch up without warning to observe what's happening.
From my own experience of 'special events' greenfield validations, they might just sit with you for a while and go through the MATS Pt 2 page by page to ensure you understand it, then sit and observe you.
Their prime interest is safety not trying to catch you out, so make sure you understand what's written in your MATS Pt 2 and if you're not happy about some point, tell them and they'll be happy to discuss it.

otatco
29th May 2014, 22:18
261 P I wouldn't worry too much. I'm a CAA licenced ATCO and have been providing ATS at a Mil unit IAW JSP 318A/JSP 552/MMATM since 1995!! There were certainly grey areas then and some of them are still unresolved really.
Those areas are equally grey for both sides so even SARG and RAF ATM STANEVAL (assume they are pitching up as well?) may be a little nervous.
Is it a 'Greenfield validation'? I thought that referred to when you were more or less starting from scratch and working out procedures as you go. I'm assuming you will be continuing extant procedures that have been transferred from an RAF order book to a MATS 2.

261_p
31st May 2014, 19:04
Yes it's a Greenfield examination and the yes the mats 2 is a mash of the Controller and flying order books.
Only srg coming from what I've been told, no raf staneval involvement

otatco
2nd Jun 2014, 13:29
When we took over from the RAF here our validations were not 'Greenfield' and STANEVAL were keen to attend for all initial validations , hence my comments in my last post.
All irrelevant anyway, main thing is best wishes on the day, I'm sure all will be fine.

chevvron
2nd Jun 2014, 23:31
Another thing. CAP 413 phraseology is standard across civil and military ATC, but there is an 'extra' phraseology section in 413 dealing with specifically military things eg cables, barriers, colour states etc so make sure you're aware of these.