PDA

View Full Version : Is this really 'news' or just more corporate spin?

Melchett01
23rd May 2014, 20:41
Whilst having a periodic mooch through the RAF website (why do I feel the overwhelming need to justify that as though it were something seedy?) I noticed an article in the 'News' section proudly announcing that a C-17 and C-130 were 'visiting' Wittering. And when they said visiting they really meant flying over as part of a training sortie before going en route.

If you read only the headline you would think that RAF aircraft flying over a RAF unit was something momentous. You have to get to para 4 before you realise that the real story is that MDHU Peterborough is no more (more nurses gone - terrible ;) ) and they are actually doing a fly past.

But my thought, based on what was written was have we really sunk so far that 2 ac flying over a former flying station is now considered news and something to be proud of? :sad:

Tiger_mate
23rd May 2014, 20:44
The CUAS Tutor landing at Wittering made the RAF News :E

NutLoose
23rd May 2014, 21:26
Surprised its that upto date, the Brize site still has the VC10 on it.

MaroonMan4
24th May 2014, 08:37
Melchett,

You actually answer your own question I believe and yes the military 'PR' machine has learnt from its political masters on how to bury news that if reported openly and transparently may raise concern.

Namely in this case it looks as though the further reduction in a military medical capability for Service Personnel is being buried in a non article. You never know, maybe next we will hear of a touch and go at Birmingham International to say farewell to RCDM, or a couple of SH using the heli-lanes as a fly past as DMRC Headley Court is wound up as many perceive there is no requirement as Afghan has finished now (and distant from the public's minds and outcry).

I kind of understand that given the paucity of RAF aircraft these days, that any sighting is newsworthy and Defence media has to find something air related to report on, but to me this looks like the real story (concern for us Service people?) is the story within the story.

Gnd
24th May 2014, 14:11
Amazed the tutors managed to take off in the 1st place, now that is news!

gijoe
24th May 2014, 14:15
Have a look at RAF News - you will then be able to answer your own question.

I particularly like the Ops Maps on the inside cover that has a Chinook the size of Afghanistan and 5 other symbols.

It is ace.

:ok:G

AllTrimDoubt
24th May 2014, 19:50
"Amazed the tutors managed to take off in the 1st place, now that is news!"

Taking off hasn't been the problem - landing where/when intended? That's the problem!

Fifth_Columnist
25th May 2014, 21:42
Does the Brize site still have VC10? Last time I looked it was up to date...notwithstanding the spelling mistake...

NutLoose
25th May 2014, 21:56
Probably missed but still references to the Ten, Tristar and the K

RAF Brize Norton - Engineering and Logistics Wing (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/organisation/engandlogswing.cfm)

Chief Air Engineer (CAE). The CAE is responsible to the Delivery Duty Holder (DDH) for all C-17, VC10, Tristar, Voyager, C130J/K aircraft, Airborne Delivery Equipment (ADE) and Airborne Forces Equipment (AFE). The CAE is responsible for the provision of independent advice to the DDH regarding Risk to Life assessments, in support of the Duty Holder Process.

There are bits and bobs throughout.

Fifth_Columnist
25th May 2014, 22:00
Well, that's QA not working then!

NutLoose
25th May 2014, 22:45
Rofl

MPN11
25th May 2014, 23:08
I clearly can't speak RAF any more, but I think I got the general drift.

An senior engineer is responsible to the Staish for Eng and Supply matters, yes?

"Delivery Duty Holder"?
:confused: :yuk: :mad:

Robert Cooper
26th May 2014, 03:37
It appears these days that any military aircraft seen airborne in the UK is cause for comment. Are times that bad?

Bob C

Tiger_mate
26th May 2014, 06:09
No - Far worse.

I believe there are more 'roundels' to be seen on civilian aircraft flying in the UK than military ones these days.

Much used to be made of the fact that every single RAF Serviceman could take a seat in Old Trafford football stadium. I wonder whicch football ground it takes nowadays - third division?

4everAD
26th May 2014, 07:57
Stadium MK (Milton Keynes) with a few hundred sitting on the line!

just another jocky
26th May 2014, 07:57
You mean like this:

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/SkidsVFR/IMG_7138_zps2adbe328.jpg

Finningley Boy
26th May 2014, 12:21
One thing for sure, we no longer are a nation known for our abiliy to under state matters, but rather the reverse.

Look at the hype surrounding the very minimal line up of R.A.F. aircraft allocated to display flying, for some time now, a single display aircraft has become "the display team" with all the merchandising and razzamatazz. And while it is not what the R.A.F. is about, anymore than marching Bands and ceremonial uniforms are what the Army is about, with a single example of a single combat type, effectively representing the R.A.F's cutting edge before the public, it says a lot about how far from effortlessly such things are done now compared with less than 10 years ago! This is quite a bench mark of how things have slid down the scale.

FB:)

Melchett01
26th May 2014, 12:33
It is all rather depressing isn't it? The way in which we can so effortlessly spin anything into a headline - even when the headline is not representative of the actual story beneath it, and even if it was, would be 180 degrees out from being good news.

It really makes you wonder if you can ever actually trust an organisation in which spin has become so much part of the culture. Is MI-7 really officially defunct, or has it just been reintroduced under the guise of 'corporate communications'? And no, I'm not talking MI-7 of Johnny English fame!