PDA

View Full Version : Few questions for an assignment

oscar77
21st May 2014, 04:49
I'm am currently in my first year of a bachelor of Aviation course at uni. In an assignment I'm doing it require me to compile a report on an airplane (Gulfstream G300) including calculations of things such as coefficient of lift and drag etc.
Information on this plane can be hard to come by and so I have a few questions regarding figures and calculations I have used.

1. What is a realistic takeoff speed for the plane? I currently have a figure of 281 kph. Also what would be the approx landing speed?

2. Is a max cruise speed of 925 kph a realistic number because it seems way high.

3. How much bigger would the wing area be when flaps etc are extended for take-off/landing? "clean?" area is 88 m2

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated. Even just your best guesses would be better than my best guesses haha so I'm not worried too much about it being exact as no one is actually going to use information for anything.

dubbleyew eight
21st May 2014, 13:41
the manuals are available as PDF's from the gulfstream web site.

Janes all the world's aircraft after 1983 should give the details as well.

takeoff speed?
well stall at max weight and flaps is given for the G-111 as 105 knots.
1.3 times the stall...137 knots as a takeoff safety speed.
the actual would be above that.

Vne mach 0.85 for the G-111
cruising mach number at full power and max auw is given as mach 0.85
long range cruising as mach 0.77

flap area?
there is a 3 view in janes all the worlds aircraft. scale it off from there.

btw there is a piece of freeware that you can use on a microsoft machine that will save your sanity. it is called convert.exe and has all the necessary conversions in it for aviation use. google for it. you can download it from the josh maddison web site. (josh wrote it)

oscar77
21st May 2014, 18:23
Thanks so much for helping out I will have another look for the pdf but I coudn't find a pdf for the g300 as its no longer being produced. I will also have a look for that book you mentioned. :ok: