View Full Version : Can you land 737 antiskid inop wet rwy

piloten23
19th May 2014, 16:33
Hi guys have a quiz

Can you land a. b737 with the antiskid inop in wet rwy medium brake action

I know you can not take off so can you land with that cant find the answer

Matey
19th May 2014, 22:02
Once you have got airborne with antiskid inop in accordance with all the regulations, if you are unfortunate enough to be faced with a flap 15 landing then I would suggest that the question of whether you can land or not is somewhat academic. How about using the time available with the fuel on board to use whatever decision making tools you employ to find a suitable landing airfield. The longest available into wind runway would be, I guess, a substantial part of that decision, along with commercial and operational factors. One thing is certain.....you can't stay up there forever.

Intruder
19th May 2014, 22:28
I was offered an answer (from a colleague) which said that we still have full manual braking... and that will comply with any sort of requirements since the manual braking is stronger than any level of the autobraking system. If I may be agree about this last statement, I would have been happy with some sort of answer from the manufacturer, I could find it with your inputs.
Don't confuse antiskid with autobrakes.

With inop antiskid, max manual braking will likely blow all tires very quickly, and then you will be reduced to whatever braking action you have wit locked wheels. That braking ability will certainly be less than "full manual braking".

Rick777
20th May 2014, 01:41
This question is kind of asking how high is up. Of course you can, but would you want to is another question. You need to know how heavy the aircraft is, how long the runway is, what the wind is, what the temperature is and most importantly what do the landing distance charts say.

John Farley
20th May 2014, 07:29
Can you land 737 antiskid inop wet rwy

May I suggest that rather depends on the runway length and whether you are a properly trained and current pilot.

AirRabbit
25th May 2014, 20:11
With inop antiskid, max manual braking will likely blow all tires very quickly, and then you will be reduced to whatever braking action you have wit(sic) locked wheels. That braking ability will certainly be less than "full manual braking."

I can’t help but agree with John Farley on this one … May I suggest that rather depends on the runway length and whether you are a properly trained and current pilot. … where “a properly trained and current pilot” covers all the pertinent issues with regard to procedures and techniques required for landing an airplane with/without all airplane systems operational, with/without weather complications, and with/without appropriate compensations/adjustments taken by the pilot at the controls.

I’ve previously posted on this forum my concerns with respect to inexperienced aviators taking what they perceive to be “short-cut," or "how-to-fly-it" briefings for a given situation, and then applying such "advice" as though the information provided is “fool-proof.” The fact is that if the “briefing” provided came from a well-meaning and experienced pilot, the description is most likely accurate – some might say “fool-proof” … but the fact is that such information is not, and cannot be, “idiot-proof.”

A very long time ago, a very experienced instructor of mine told me that I would do well to NOT attempt anything beyond the normal training tasks during flight operations until I had tried it (where "it" is any task beyond the tasks covered during training) – and tried it several times – under the supervision of a qualified and competent instructor – and tried it WITH that supervision until I had learned what to do and what NOT to do for each such event. Of course, not every event can be foreseen and therefore practiced … but the more practice a pilot has doing things that are at or just beyond the typical training/evaluation boundaries, the more likely he/she will be able to work through an unexpected and potentially dangerous set of circumstances. The advice I received was prior to the advent of the kinds and accuracies of modern simulation – but with that advent, it only allows the numbers and kinds of “beyond-the-boundary” tasks that might be practiced … but again, I offer the caveat … ONLY with the direct participation of a qualified and competent instructor. Please forgive my bluntness, but the fact is that airlines today are replete with “instructors” who teach what they have been taught, the way they were taught, and rely very heavily (if not completely) on the correct functioning of the simulator to effect virtually ALL of the training conducted. Certainly, not ALL instructors are like that … but there are enough that one would be very wise in executing a discriminating selection of an instructor for the kinds of purposes I’m describing here. AND - even after seeking and obtaining such training/practice - one MUST not get such an inflated ego that might have the potential of getting one's self to the accident scene first!

BBK
27th May 2014, 10:12
Piloten23

Quick answer is check the QRH under non normal configuration. With the scenario you describe I'm sure you will need a long runway. Anti skid inop is one of those where you're generally looking at long runways, into wind, dry etc.

The point is that you will arrive at a value from the tables which needs to be less than the runway landing distance available otherwise find another airport to land on!

Hope that helps.