PDA

View Full Version : Should I take flight school along with an engineering degree?

mongdex
19th May 2014, 05:03
Should I take flight school along with an engineering degree?
My parents would like me to get an engineering degree, however I would like to be a pilot. I plan to enroll at Embry-Riddle and take aerospace engineering alongside getting my CPL. Will there be too much work for me? What are the pros and cons of each (if any)?

Thanks!

com304
19th May 2014, 14:45
One big YES. Any kind of education will be good for you. What will you do if don't find pilot job any time soon? More importantly, what will you do if you loose your medical status? Furthermore there are airlines (e.g. Korean Airlines) that require their pilots to posses at least a four year degree. There are no cons to be educated. If tou will study aerospace related degree, it will be easier for you. Yes you will have to spend a lot of time studiing and it will not be that easy, but it is worth it!

Genghis the Engineer
19th May 2014, 14:51
In my considered opinion, as somebody with two engineering degrees and a CPL: "it depends".

If you want to be a commissioned military pilot, test pilot, or seek a future combined flying / engineering role - go for it.

If you want to be an aeronautical engineer with a grasp of flying to support your work - do a PPL; maybe upgrade to a CPL later when you have time and money, and reasons to have it. (Although CPL theory is actually quite useful as an aeronautical engineer).

If you happen to have a fascination for engineering and would like to study it anyhow - what the heck - go for it.

If you "only" want to be a professional pilot:airline, instructor, NCO military - no desire to take a technical role, be a military officer, etc - stick to the CPL and don't waste several years and tens of thousands of dollars on an education you won't enjoy and won't use.

That said some countries do need some kind of degree for airline pilots just as a condition of employment. In that case do the minimum you need, and something you'll enjoy. But Aero Eng is an incredibly demanding subject so you need to have a passion for it. If you don't, do something you do enjoy - or maybe something like management which may be of value to you as you climb the professional career ladder.

If you want a backup in case you lose your medical, do something you can earn money with quickly. That's not usually an engineering degree, which is very much a licence to learn requiring several years more professional experience to be much use to anybody. A cookery, teaching, technician qualification would be more valuable in that context.

mongdex
2nd Jul 2014, 14:37
Hey guys,

sorry for the extremely late reply. But I have decided, yes. I will go this route. Aeronautical engineering alongside a CPL. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2014, 15:44
Best of luck.

Out of interest, what are your reasons and career objectives, having made that decision?