PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying - Success?

Andy_P
15th May 2014, 11:20
Thought I would put this one in a new thread, rather than tacking it onto my other thread. Why, because I feel I have finally got to a point where I have fully managed to deal with stage one of this stupid problem...

In my other thread, I mention that when I flew to New Caledonia I was hit with the same old fear when I boarded a commercial jet. This is despite the fact that I have been training for my PPL and doing pretty well.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to fly commercial to Sydney for a holiday. I have always wanted to fly on a 747, and it just so happens that Qantas do a Brisbane To Sydney Run on the 747 early most weekdays. Now I was not sure if it was the excitement of flying on a 747, or if I have finally managed to overcome that fear, but I got on the plane with excitement rather than fear. First time EVER. AS a bonus, I got to observe about an emirates A380 land at YBBN and about 6 A380's at Sydney too!

Coming back from Sydney on a B737 (so small now!!) same deal. No fear and it was a bumpy ride too.

Probably does not mean much to many here, but I am stoked. I consider myself reasonably intelligent, so its hard to justify a totally irrational fear like this. To finally deal with it is a pretty good feeling... Hopefully others out there searching google will find this thread and realise its possible to manage such a fear!

localflighteast
15th May 2014, 13:43
That's Awesome Andy!!

Been there, done that , know exactly how it feels.

It is truly liberating and a testament to your perseverance.

Aware
15th May 2014, 20:52
Andy Well Done I had the same fear huge anxiety, I learned to fly to overcome it, and then became a CPL Flying Instructor and Examiner, but guess what after all that I still get nervous sometimes boarding commercial flights, which makes my Wife chuckle, as she says you can go to work and fly all day and not blink an eye lid, which is true, my goal was to feel as comfortable flying as driving which I acheived over a period of 10 years, I'm now back in financial services and don't fly anymore but I acheived my goal, and some of my students now fly me on those nervous commercial flights, strange old world is it not. I actually still prefer the train !