PDA

View Full Version : Is a seperate FRTOL still required

kevkdg
15th May 2014, 10:37
I notice the new EASA licences come with the FRTOL printed on them with no expiry.

Also, if they re-print your NPPL or other National licence in the new format it has an FRTOL printed on them with no expiry.

I have a separate FRTOL which expires in 2 years. Do I need to renew this?

znww5
15th May 2014, 11:16
As I understand it, all licences have to be converted to EASA versions by April 2015 unless you only fly Annex II aircraft.

Assuming you aren't an Annex II only pilot, the remaining 2 years on your FRTOL won't be an issue, as you will have converted before it's expiry.

kevkdg
15th May 2014, 11:22
I have converted already, and it seems FRTOL is in built with new format licences. CAA even re-printed my NPPL for me so that now also includes FRTOL. So I guess my separate FRTOL is redundant now and can be left to expire, unless there is any reason to renew it as a separate licence.

Mach Jump
15th May 2014, 12:12
Hi Kev.

Yes, your new Licence has your RT Privileges (if you have them) included on it. and your old RT Licence is now redundant.

MJ:ok:

Level Attitude
15th May 2014, 18:13
Yes, your new Licence includes has your RT PrivilegesSo what happens if your medical expires? Can you no longer help do the radio, as a Pax.

Mach Jump
15th May 2014, 19:44
So what happens if your medical expires? Can you no longer help do the radio, as a Pax.

Interesting question.

I think your RT Privileges can be exercised without a Medical.

Also, I think you can operate the RT under the supervision of the holder of RT privileges, or an FRTOL.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
20th May 2014, 13:37
I notice the new EASA licences come with the FRTOL printed on them with no expiry.
The UK will not include this unless you have qualified for the issue of a UK FRTOL. This is still a National licence and has nothing to do with EASA. The FRTOL is issued in compliance with Article 37 of the ITU General Radio Regulations enacted via ANO Article 56(3):
Subject to the exceptions set out in articles 51, 57 and 59 a person must not act as a flight radiotelephony operator, a flight engineer or a flight navigator of an EASA aircraft that is registered in the United Kingdom without holding an appropriate licence granted or rendered valid under this Order.
The CAA may issue a seperate certificate or include the privileges in a pilot's licence. The certificate entered in current licences fails to comply with the requirements of RR Article 37!

FCL 040 statesThe exercise of the privileges granted by a licence shall be dependent upon the validity of the ratings contained therein, if applicable, and of the medical certificate.

ANO Art 72 exempts the FRTOL from the requirement to hold a valid medical certificateRequirement for a medical certificate
72 (1) This article applies to any licence granted under article 64, other than a National Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) or a Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence.

UK licence holders still have a FRTOL if they have RT Privileges and it is valid without a medical certificate.