PDA

View Full Version : UK Security for Biz Jets

Guptar
11th May 2014, 11:34
Are passengers (and pilots) who are travelling on a purely on a private aircraft, ie Global or Gulfstream etc, subject to the security limitations on liquids in carry on baggage.

How does the rule work, should such prohibited items be placed in the hold, given that on many larger aircraft the checked baggage is accessible in flight.

Is there a weight limit where enhanced security measures take effect?

Klimax
11th May 2014, 11:57
You should receive; no replies to your question!

south coast
11th May 2014, 14:21
In the UK, I believe with planes above 10T, the bags and pax are/can be subjected to screening.

RAFAT
11th May 2014, 16:22
How does the rule work

Just fine.

Guptar
12th May 2014, 11:52
Righto Gentlemen,

I found all the info I wanted, freely available on Her Majesty's government website no less. Now fancy that, allowing mere mortals to see the regulations. Reminds me of the young ****** who told me that that Instrument approach plates were 'restricted material", in Oz.

BTW, Klimax and RAFAT, you two are complete pratts, remind me of the Lord Flasheart episode of Black Adder.

mad_jock
12th May 2014, 15:57
Those are the minimum guidelines you have found on the gov web site.

Some airports decide to gold plate them and it might not be as you expect. Its best to check with your handler what the local rules are.

Phil Brockwell
12th May 2014, 16:42
OK, this is my understanding. A private aircraft no matter what weight does not require screening (or limitations on liquids or gels), however if the aircraft is parked beyond a Critical Point (CP) then all pax, crew and bags are subject to the normal limitations of a commercial > 10 ton flight.

To this end it would depend on which airport and FBO.

Does this agree with others understanding?

mad_jock
12th May 2014, 17:34
nope it a seat and weight limit.

over 19 seats and or 10 tons, private or CAT they have to go through the full security process including liquids. Its not just a UK thing its EU wide.

The bigger FBO's have there own security arrangements which they can process them without the usual ball aches.

As for what happens after that I suspect nobody will want to say because in the UK anyway the DFT or who ever deals with it these days, will say its illegal for both crew and pax to have access to the security cleared hold baggage in flight.

x933
12th May 2014, 19:03
Broadly speaking it's a complete waste of time which no one seems to be able to grasp. The only aircraft I can think of which are subject to screening and you can't get at the hold in flight are the Citation Sovereign and Citation X...and on the hawker having had your bags security screened you have to walk past them again to get to your seat - presuming of course that you didn't fill the hold first and found your suitcase in the "secondary hold" - AKA rear bog :E

Phil Brockwell
12th May 2014, 19:35
Mad Jock,

You may be right about 19 seats (Can't think of anything under 10 tons and over 19 seats?)
Definitely you are wrong about a private aircraft over 10 tons (outside of a CP) we do this most days (we are an FBO with a full screening suite in our building). If you are being screened on private flights it can only be that you are :-
a/ In an airport where the FBO ramp is in a CP
b/ In Edinburgh where they screen you for no reason whatsoever.
PB

Globally Challenged
12th May 2014, 20:01
Agree with Phil.

When we (>10T) operate privately out of the UK then there is no screening at the airport/FBOs that we use.

When operating charter, we are screened.

That said - there is nothing to stop a <10T aircraft having their crew request pax are screened anyway (I have done this in the past)

Private jet
12th May 2014, 20:09
What PB says...

mad_jock
12th May 2014, 20:38
Oh well, only normally do charters which do need it.

But under ten we don't.

zakka
12th May 2014, 22:41
When departing from Luton in a 10T+ aircraft with pax - better bring your own lube :eek:

mad_jock
13th May 2014, 07:59
Just checked.

Under 10T and 19 seats private or CAT no need.

Over that for CAT you need to be security checked.

And for private its up to the airport because the rules are the minimum requirement but there is nothing stopping an airport gold plating the rules with more strict rules. So if the local chief numpty say you have to you have to.

Deep and fast
13th May 2014, 09:08
Not just lube needed at Luton, bring some anti depressants, tranquillisers as well as a tin hat as your passengers with be totally pissed off!

D and F

happyjack
13th May 2014, 10:10
I am sure the "security charge" levied which can be as much as £500 plus 20% tax has nothing to do with the compulsion to put pax and crews through this bullsh1t?