PDA

View Full Version : A320 speed brakes beyond F1

sequ
10th May 2014, 19:15
Hello All,

Have run a search and came up with differing thoughts, so I thought I'd ask again so that maybe someone can clarify.

Have flown B767 for about a decade and am transitioning to the Airbus. Learning a lot and having insight into a new way of doing things, so here is the question:

RE the use of speed brakes during Approach, the FCOM states the following:

"-If the aircraft speed is significantly higher than "F"speed on the flight path, or the aircraft does not decelerate on the flight path, extend the landing gear in order to slow down the aircraft. The use of speed brakes is not recommended.
-When speed brakes are deployed, extending the flaps beyond FLAPS 1 may induce a slight roll movement, and in calm conditions a small lateral control asymmetry may remain until disturbed by a control input or by an atmospheric disturbance."

My trainers have told me that use of speed brakes is only prohibited when in Conf Full. They have interpreted this note by saying that the use of speed brakes is only not recommended during extension of Flaps from 1 to 2, so they have suggested that if in Conf 1 with speed brakes in use, to extend further flap, retract speed brakes, configure at Flaps 2 and then re extend the speed brakes. They have interpreted this as using speed brakes during the extension process only...

I understand this note from Airbus as saying that any use of speed brakes whilst configured beyond FLAPS 1 is not recommended. I interpret the note as Airbus only really wants you to use speed brakes until Flap 1. Any further requirement of drag should then come from the Gear.

Any thoughts?

Hahn
10th May 2014, 19:26
I have never noticed any slight roll or so when extending flaps with speedbrakes, also I can not find the words "not recommend" in your quote. If you need the things just use them for the sake of it, the gear is a lot more effective though.

sequ
10th May 2014, 19:29
Thanks Hahn,

Have edited the post to reflect the first part of the note, which I had not included.

Thanks.

Killaroo
10th May 2014, 21:54
When spoilers are retracted they are active only to assist in roll control, right?
The spoilers on the 'down going' wing will partially extend to aid roll.

If the spoilers are already extended this roll assist is enhanced, because they can both retract and extend further now. Clear?

So, with spoilers extended the roll effects are greater. This can become noticeable in turbulence on approach - the aircraft will tend to waggle the wings a lot. I believe this is what Airbus are 'recommending' be avoided.

There's also a lot of excess vibration in using the spoilers with flap extended. You can feel the aircraft doesn't like it - if you can feel anything with an Airbus!:}

I've never heard that suggestion to only avoid during flap extension before.
Logically it does not make any sense to me.

Fursty Ferret
11th May 2014, 09:56
I find the roll movement quite pronounced and try to avoid using speedbrake with flap out if I can possibly avoid it - taking flap 3 or dropping the gear early are good alternatives.

If you do need it careful application is required, especially on the 319 where going for full speedbrake will result in a sharp roll to the right of about 5 degrees, abrupt level off, and then a dive to regain the glideslope, followed by the autothrust throwing a tantrum.

It's messy and uncomfortable for passengers.

sequ
12th May 2014, 01:08
Thanks for the answers.

I am only finishing up my initial in the sim and haven't actually flown yet...

I tend to agree with your views.

Thanks to all.