PDA

View Full Version : Sudden engine increase during cruise, thoughts?

Beirut pilot
7th May 2014, 19:02
Hello,

About a week ago i was travelling on a yellow low fare airline to the UK from Poland...Whilst cruising at 36.000 ft the engines started to make a sound just like it was reversing up there. I know it wasn't the case, but just to describe the problem. Anyway, It was really loud and made me wonder why?
I can't imagine CAT as i had my ipad on the tray table laying with its head to the seat in front, and it didn't even move an inch.

Sorry if i did some misspellings but its almost bedtime here...

Intruder
7th May 2014, 19:10
Climb to 380?

Beirut pilot
7th May 2014, 19:11
Nope,we were stable at 36000ft all the way to the UK.

McLuvin
7th May 2014, 19:17
Could have been thrust increasing to compensate for clear air or mountain wave turbulence, or possibly an ATC/control request to increase speed for spacing.

Beirut pilot
7th May 2014, 19:36
Could have been thrust increasing to compensate for clear air or mountain wave turbulence

We did not fly over any mountains on our way to our destination. But im not really familiar with mountain wave turbulence... Could it cause problems even a bit away from it?

Could have been thrust increasing to compensate for clear air or mountain wave turbulence, or possibly an ATC/control request to increase speed for spacing.

I did some playbacks on flightradar24 to see if we did encounter some serious traffic on our path, but we did not. I'm more than aware that not every type of aircraft is displayed on it...But our late departure time did indicate that space wouldn't be much of a problem really.

JammedStab
7th May 2014, 19:46
RTA at a certain waypoint. Have put it into the FMC even though the ATC newly required crossing time was already the planned crossing time. But in order to save 30 seconds or so(as shown on the ND) for waypoint crossing time some 15 miles away, M0.88 was selected.

Beirut pilot
7th May 2014, 20:06
RTA at a certain waypoint. Have put it into the FMC even though the ATC newly required crossing time was already the planned crossing time. But in order to save 30 seconds or so(as shown on the ND) for waypoint crossing time some 15 miles away, M0.88 was selected.

Im not saying that you are wrong, as i'm not in the position of doing so.
But does it explain that intense sound that i, and many others, heard?

glendalegoon
7th May 2014, 22:58
just for grins I thought I would mention that you can encounter mountain wave, rotor clouds etc some 700 miles downwind from the actual mountains.

though I think they were just speeding up or better yet, YOUR EARS SUDDENLY POPPED AND YOU COULD HEAR BETTER!

were you drinking water, or chewing gum when it happened?

tdracer
7th May 2014, 23:39
Don't know what airplane or engine type is in question, but it's possible that a subtle throttle movement could have caused a stability bleed to open. Depending on the engine type, that can increase the engine noise by 12db.

On one particular no longer produced Boeing model, a stability bleed that opens during reverse operation is noisier than the reverser...

Octane
7th May 2014, 23:46
or perhaps the crew had to throttle back due to turbulance and what you heard was throttling back up to cruise speed once turbulence has ceased?

Tinstaafl
8th May 2014, 06:06
Chemtrail nozzles opening. Obvious, really.

sapperkenno
8th May 2014, 06:27
If it had been me on that flight... I'd probably have asked the cabin crew (who in turn would have asked the flightdeck) if it bothered me (and other pax) that much at the time... Just a thought.

Beirut pilot
8th May 2014, 07:32
just for grins I thought I would mention that you can encounter mountain wave, rotor clouds etc some 700 miles downwind from the actual mountains.

Thank you for that information!

though I think they were just speeding up or better yet, YOUR EARS SUDDENLY POPPED AND YOU COULD HEAR BETTER!

were you drinking water, or chewing gum when it happened?

Im not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic, but i guess for the latter one.
Then no i most certainly did not sir, and probably most of the plane as well.

If it had been me on that flight... I'd probably have asked the cabin crew (who in turn would have asked the flightdeck) if it bothered me (and other pax) that much at the time... Just a thought.

Pilots just tells you what you want to hear, not what happened. Especially on an already controversial airline like RYR.