PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid reservoir C 152

maximus610
6th May 2014, 21:58
Where is the brake fluid reservoir located on Cessna 152/172?

ericferret
6th May 2014, 22:04
Two cylinders, one behind each brake pedal, left hand side on the 152. Remove the yellow plug to fill.

maximus610
6th May 2014, 22:12

mad_jock
7th May 2014, 02:51
Is't there another one on the fire wall in the engine bay?

Or am I getting confused with the tommy?

stevef
7th May 2014, 05:32
You're right about the Tomahawk, Pipers singles tend to have the master cylinder on the firewall where you can get to it easily.
Grumman tried to make it impossible on the AA5. :(

Cusco
7th May 2014, 12:51
Tomahawk and PA28s have a scruffy looking reservoir on L side of firewall which bears more than a passing resemblance to a can of 3 in 1 bike oil.

dubbleyew eight
7th May 2014, 14:53
maximus, you are using red aircraft brake fluid to top up those cylinders aren't you?
car brake fluid should never be used.

piperboy84
7th May 2014, 16:05
I agree, better get the right stuff, I didn't have any when doing the annual and used the high grade hydraulic oil that I use in the Manitou forklift and got a bollocking from the AI, even though the stuff |I used had higher temp and pressure ratings.

Piper.Classique
7th May 2014, 16:12
maximus, you are using red aircraft brake fluid to top up those cylinders aren't you?
car brake fluid should never be used

It depends.....
More than one type of car brake fluid, and not all aeroplanes use the same brake fluid.
Check first is always good.

Mark 1
7th May 2014, 16:45
The fluid used in most aircraft is to spec MIL-PRF 5606H and is petroleum based.
It isn't expensive, but you will probably need an aircraft supplier.

There are some compatible hydraulic fluids, but be very careful as the wrong fluid will instantly destroy all the Buna-n O-rings in the master and slave cylinder.

stevef
7th May 2014, 17:34
Much as Mark 1 says.
The most widely-used General Aviation hydraulic oil is known as Aeroshell Fluid 41 (dyed red). Large modern aircraft and biz jets usually have Skydrol (phosphate-ester based), which is horrible stuff if it gets in your eyes. Definitely not compatible.
I've never heard of any common piston-engined American-built light aircraft that use anything other than mineral-based oil.
Some antique aircraft may still use vegetable-based oil (natural rubber seals) but I've never come across them.
Re car brake fluid, I know of someone who filled his Cessna 210 hydraulic reservoir with it. Cost him a lot of money to have everything in the system resealed after the subsequent O ring leakage.