PDA

View Full Version : Any problems over Crimea

JammedStab
6th May 2014, 00:53
I have a flight through Simferopol area this month. Anybody had ATC difficulties?

FAA Prohibits Flights over Crimea and Surrounding Areas
The FAA issued a Special FAR on Friday that prohibits “certain flight operations” in a portion of the Simferopol Flight Information Region (FIR) by all U.S. airlines and commercial operators, and–with narrow exceptions–those with a U.S. airman certificate and operators of U.S.-registered civil aircraft. This prohibited area includes sovereign Ukrainian airspace over the Crimean Peninsula and the associated Ukrainian territorial sea, as well as international airspace managed by Ukraine over the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. The SFAR will remain in effect for one year. The FAA said the rule was prompted by the Russian Federation’s issuance of a notam on March 28 “purporting to establish unilaterally a new FIR, effective April 3, 2014, in a significant portion of the Simferopol (UKFV) FIR,” following Russia’s annexation of Crimea. “In the FAA’s view, the potential for civil aircraft to receive confusing and conflicting air traffic control instructions from both Ukrainian and Russian ATS providers while operating in the portion of the Simferopol FIR covered by this SFAR is unsafe and presents a potential hazard to civil flight operations in the disputed airspace,” the FAA said.

con-pilot
6th May 2014, 18:28
From what I've heard on other websites, all flights over Crimea are being rerouted as the airspace over Crimea has been closed UFN.

despegue
14th May 2014, 10:48
The Crimea is no longer part of the Ukraine, but is part of the Russian Federation.
Moreover, the FAA has no say as where people are allowed to be or fly over unless it is in their own, FAA regulated airspace.

The Ukrainians have only themselves to blame choosing Neonazi parties as their government.

con-pilot
14th May 2014, 17:24
Moreover, the FAA has no say as where people are allowed to be or fly over unless it is in their own, FAA regulated airspace.

I do believe that the entire world is aware of that, but the FAA can issue advisories and other information to US pilots that are operating outside of US airspace. And they do.

JammedStab
24th May 2014, 19:53
Thanks. We were filed on a different routing to the north.