PDA

View Full Version : Rate of flights per day...

flyelmoair
5th May 2014, 14:38
Good afternoon,

I heard in passing somewhere that a PPL can only fly two flights in one day. Can someone please confirm this and if your familiar with the document in which to research it?

T.I.A.

FEA

mad_jock
5th May 2014, 14:40
In easa land that is a load of bollocks and there is no document.

flyelmoair
5th May 2014, 14:43
Thanks MJ.

mad_jock
5th May 2014, 15:00
you have to do three flights in the same day for your qualifying cross country........

shortstripper
5th May 2014, 19:46
A PPL glider tug pilot would be well bu@@ered if that was the case! :}

SS

Talkdownman
5th May 2014, 19:55
What one does with a PRIVATE Pilot's Licence is….PRIVATE.

Mach Jump
5th May 2014, 20:09
I heard in passing somewhere that a PPL can only fly two flights in one day.

I have never heard of any such rule anywhere, and I can't think of any reason for there to be one.

MJ:ok:

thing
5th May 2014, 20:44
After two flights in one day my wallet prohibits me from doing anymore.

flyelmoair
5th May 2014, 21:34
Some very valid replies. Duh! Thanks folks.

abgd
5th May 2014, 21:46
What jurisdiction are you under?

Pirke
5th May 2014, 21:53
If you go scuba diving after your second flight then yes, you can't do a third one... ;)

RTN11
6th May 2014, 09:59
Clearly it's a recommendation from an instructor. More than two lessons a day early on in the course does tend to overload people, a lesson in the morning, break, rebrief and lesson in the afternoon is about as much as people can take to really learn and digest the information.

Obviously on nav flights later in the course you will do more than one flight in a day, but this is more consolidation of knowledge than actually learning something fresh.

No law at all on the matter though, nothing to stop you doing 10 flights in a day like most instructors would.

1.3VStall
6th May 2014, 10:15
I've done 18 flights in a Pawnee in a single day towing gliders!;)

Piper.Classique
6th May 2014, 17:54
I once did seven hours tugging in a supercub in one day. At six tows a hour or thereabouts that's more than two flights. Three, to be precise. Fly, launch many gliders, don't stop the engine between launches, go refuel. One flight. Do that again. Repeat once more. That's three flights but more landings than three.

Mariner9
6th May 2014, 18:09
Departing from the very bumpy strip at Lundy, I reckon I got in at least 6 flights in about 15 seconds before the final bounce launched me clear :ok:

Pirke
6th May 2014, 22:31
Mariner9, that reminds me of this funny comic:

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/comics/2012-01-19-cw0363.jpg

Falcons11
6th May 2014, 22:40
That comic is funny.

Never done a plane launch, I did a few winch launches until I went solo in a glider.
What is the benefit of plane launch? Is it just the capital saving of not buying a winch? Must be an expensive way to get a glider in the sky, though I guess you can take them up higher if there are no thermals.

Although reading that again makes it sound like I launched the glider single handedly, which I did not, my solo flight was also winch launched...

AberdeenAngus
7th May 2014, 11:25
At Aboyne, we only launch by tug. The advantage is not just height but location at release. Of course, its more expensive but it must be pretty frustrating to wait all day for a 7 min flight.

Rocket2
7th May 2014, 12:29
"Is it just the capital saving of not buying a winch? Must be an expensive way to get a glider in the sky"
Nope - some sites (such as Aboyne) are too short to operate a winch (which is cheaper to operate). You can also be towed to lift which maybe too far away to reach off a winch launch or you can be towed far higher than the usual 1000 - 1500ft winch launch - handy for spinning / aerobatics / getting to wave lift etc.
Also the aerotow queue is usually smaller than the winch one so faster launches are assured, many more reasons for sure.
A matter of personal requirements over the size of your wallet :eek:
PS - Tug pilots are happy when towing, winch drivers are just plain grumpy!

Piper.Classique
7th May 2014, 16:09
Tug pilots are happy when towing, winch drivers are just plain grumpy!

Of course, the other difference between tug drivers and winch drivers is that it is much harder for the glider pilot to kill a winch driver......