PDA

View Full Version : Oman old unknown airfield

aborghes
5th May 2014, 11:31
Hello, I'm looking for some information about a old abandoned airfield in Oman, the location is Ras Al Hadd, about 100KM South-East from Muscat.
the Airfield looks like a old RAF base with the typical T shape, if anyone has historical information I will be grateful if you can share, thanks!
https://www.google.com/maps/@22.5000345,59.7815077,12z

chevvron
7th May 2014, 01:39
Lack of dispersed parking areas and taxiways but with turning circles might, just might, indicate an old civil airport rather than military.
Suggestion: try posting this thread in 'Which Aerodrome'.
Hm second thoughts; on zooming out it's in quite a strategic position adjacent to the entrance to the Persian Gulf, so maybe it is ex military.

kenparry
7th May 2014, 07:18
Can't verify it, but the story I got when working in the area around 1970 was that it originally had been a US military field in WW2. Which seemed odd to me - as said above, the layout does not look military, and I'm unaware of any US mil activity in the area at that time.

Blacksheep
7th May 2014, 12:41
The clue is in the name. Just stick RAF on the front - RAF Ras el Hadd. A detachment base used by 244 Squadron Blenheims and later Wellingtons, flying anti-submarine operations from their main base at Masirah.

Bill Macgillivray
7th May 2014, 15:10
Many years ago when in SOAF we used to land there in Skyvans/Defenders for various reasons. There used to be an old airship mooring mast on the NE side (R101??) and to the N. were the remains of some old buildings which definitely had military origins. One of our engineers and team excavated an old radial engine (Bristol??) which I believe is now in the military museum at Bait al Falaj. If you are interested I can have a dig through logbooks/photo albums to see if I have anything else.

Lordflasheart
7th May 2014, 15:30
Apparently there's an on/off move to redevelop three or four regional airports of which Ras al Hadd is one.

Oman re-tenders Sohar, Ras Al Hadd airport project | ConstructionWeekOnline.com (http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-24191-oman-re-tenders-sohar-ras-al-hadd-airport-project/)

LFH

Airclues
7th May 2014, 19:19
LFH

The new airfield is a few miles to the south of the town. The outline can be seen on google earth.

Dave

Lordflasheart
8th May 2014, 07:08
The new airfield is a few miles to the south of the town.

Thanks Dave, missed that. Looks worse than the old place ! Pete