PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford, Panshanger and Flyers Flying school (Elstree)

Baikonour
4th May 2014, 10:54
Hi all.

I've now had trial lessons with these three schools and need to decide which one to continue with for a PPL.
- Stapleford Flight Centre, London, UK (http://www.flysfc.com)
- North London Flying School (http://www.northlondonflyingschool.com)
- Flyers Flying School (http://www.flyersflyingschool.co.uk)

I have enjoyed all 3 flights, although they were all quite different. I liked all the instructors and all schools are roughly the same distance from me. I tried 3 different planes but don't think I have a preference for any particular one.

Sounds like I'm on to a winner regardless, but before I commit, I'd like to invite any views from the assorted forumites on these schools (and/or their instructors), keeping in mind my final aim which is to use my PPL for touring in the UK and Continental Europe. Although I'd like to add an IR - I'm not a wannabe ATPL'er...

(Although I am sure you mean well, please don't start suggesting Andrewsfield, White Waltham etc. - I must limit my choices :)

<- Please use the PM or email function if that seems prudent.

Thanks guys (and gals!)

Baikonour

echobeach
5th May 2014, 06:59
I can't comment on the others but the Flyers Flying school at Elstree has a number of clear advantages for your stated goals. Not only do they have a really excellent group of instructors (and a first class CFI) for your ppl, but it's a flying school with a difference

They really look after you post ppl. There is an excellent system of mentor ship and encouragement. This, may I assure you, does not happen in every flying school

There are twice weekly tours round uk and to the continent when weather good, done with groups if you choose, as a great way to build confidence.

And then I was encouraged to do my first long tour and shown how easy it was not many hours post ppl. A mate and I did France and Spain in a long weekend.

I am sure you won't go wrong if that sort of flying is what you want to do. My recommendation is based on the continued invaluable support and encouragement from FFS Elstree and for no other reason. Many ppls give up or are not encouraged to be ambitious and supported in doing this. This school will help you achieve all of that. I have been a member still renting from them since they were set up and now many years post ppl. It's the best flying set up I have belonged to and believe me I have tried a few clubs over time ! I have my own share in a craft but still prefer their flying environment and support.

The tours I have done encouraged by them include La Rochelle, Perpignan, Pamplona. Berlin tempelhof. And the best Vfr to Mallorca.

Baikonour
5th May 2014, 17:44
EB,

thanks - that sounds good indeed. Vicky also told me about the trips she does and it is definitely, I think, something which is very useful to build confidence after the PPL. The last thing I want is to finish the PPL and then find myself 'lost'.

Flyers was clearly the friendliest of the 3 I went to, but it is also by far the smallest. Whereas part of me just wants to 'get on with it' and e.g. Stapleford seems a 'well-oiled' machinery for teaching you to fly (and the instructor I had was very friendly and took her time) they are clearly more commercial.

My main concern with a smaller school is how often I will find an aircraft has 'gone tech' or that no instructor is available.:hmm: I cannot change the weather, but I can try to avoid the other usual 'frustrating' factors. ;)

Still, I'm in it to enjoy it, so time is not really an issue :^)

What's the scene at Elstree like? There seem to be so many companies there - is there any 'club' feeling left?

Baikonour

krankyd
6th May 2014, 07:17
I fly from Elstree and am with the group at Flyers. We have access to 7 or 8 a aircraft so 'going tech' has never been an issue. Likewise I've never had an issue with an instructor cancelling a lesson other than for bad weather. I looked at Stapleford but the impression was that I would always be on the backseat to the commercial guys putting down 70+K to do their full training, whilst the receptionist gossips on the phone. Panshanger were the worst I'm afraid, keeping me sitting around for 20+ minutes whilst the manager kept himself busy with a meeting and then was surprised to see me walking out the door..

I'd suggest going with the place you enjoy and feel you would get the most out of in the long run. I made the right decision and have never looked back :)

piperarcher
6th May 2014, 11:07
There is no right answer of course, it depends on your relationship with the instructors you flew with, and whether you think they are the right kind of person to encourage you to do your PPL. I am a Panshnager member and highly rate the instructors, the aircraft and their attitude to safety. It is also a nice place to hang out and you will always be given help from qualified pilots and the like.

You also have to think about future needs. Not sure about Elstree but Stapleford has runway night lighting, which might be extremely important, or the option to do a full Instrument Rating with them. However there is currently an IR Restricted available from all of these clubs, and the route to a 'full' IR wont necessarily mean you need to be at a big organisation like Stapleford. Stapleford does seem to be focussed a lot on the ATPL/IR cadets and I do find front of desk staff at Panshanger and Elstree to be much more friendly at the PPL level.

Baikonour
8th May 2014, 07:46
Thanks for replies on forum and PMs.

I've booked the next half dozen lessons and will hopefully report back with something more aviation related soon :-)

Baikonour

YODI
8th May 2014, 08:52
Who did you choose?

Baikonour
8th May 2014, 10:41
Flyers at Elstree.

I was leaning toward them as a 'gut feeling'; the comments on here, PMs and elsewhere seemed to reinforce it.

I am really looking forward to it and will probably be back here spouting happy feelings soon :^)

Now all I need is the weather to clear!

Baikonour

krankyd
8th May 2014, 11:37
Look forward to seeing you on the trips!
:ok:

YODI
8th May 2014, 15:47
Good choice, you wont be disappointed.