PDA

View Full Version : Robinson: Accurate Fuel usage

valve guide
1st May 2014, 06:45
I previously flew 44's and 22's and loved the fact that you had a separate fuel gauge for each tank and a low fuel warning sensor, so basically 3 methods of checking. On looking at an older machine (2 tanks) with a very poor and unreliable system, I was wondering how best to check the fuel usage from full. You obviously can't easily fit new sender units to the tanks so wondered if there was some sort of flow meter which would accurately measure how much fuel was coming out of the tanks. Is there such a device in this simplistic form and if so what sort of costs. I know you can dip tanks, work out your normal fuel burn etc etc I just wanted something a bit more scientific for in flight monitoring. Thanks as usual for any help and advice!

Hairyplane
1st May 2014, 13:50
I guess you could fit an EDM or similar fuel flow meter but doubt if it has an STC in this Country?

I had an EDM700 on my Robin Regent but failed uphill in getting the fuel flow transducer approved, so had to live with just the 'Lean Find' facility ( a fixed wing luxury only...!!) and the 'Fill?' legend every time I put the Master on. AFAIAA the transducer is still in its box - never fitted by the current owner.

I guess that tells you something.

Throwing loads of money at it might work.;)

By way of example, you cant even fit the additional avionics mounting bar to the right of the R44 console here AFAIAA.

Best

HP

powerlimited
1st May 2014, 18:55
Isn't it possible to fit new senders without removing the tanks?

If they are unreliable, that is also unserviceable and should be rectified.

Arm out the window
1st May 2014, 20:45
We operate a 44 with a flow meter, mainly for local training so I tend not to pay much attention to it but use the gauges, time and how much I put in at the start, so I'm not full bottle on its intricacies.

Will have a look today and tell you the brand later.

Cheers

rjtjrt
3rd May 2014, 02:41
Valve Guide
I had a JPI FS-450 fitted to mine. It has an FAA STC for R-22 and R-44, amongst others.
Absolutely accurate, also gives fuel used and fuel remaining as well as fuel flow. If tied to a GPS also get fuel remaining at destination, etc.
I found it almost indispensible.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/fuel-scan-450/

John

krypton_john
4th May 2014, 21:12
Hi John, does this depend on you accurately telling it the qty in the tank at the start of the flight?

[edit] - I see that is the case.

rjtjrt
4th May 2014, 21:16
Sort of/yes.
Tell it full when you fill tanks, and then tell it each time how much you put in at future refueling if partially fill tanks, or tell it full if fill tanks to top. Very accurate once you set it up.
John

John R81
6th May 2014, 07:04
My R44 fuel gauge is spot-on-accurate. Comprised of a bent section of aluminium, the pre- and post-flight readings are never wrong. However, there are procedural difficulties for in-flight use :ok:

Hairyplane
10th May 2014, 16:16
..Is just that.

Not on the G....

HP