PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the part-time instructor jobs?

dogsbreath
30th Apr 2014, 11:14
I have been an instructor off and on for 25 years, firstly as a means to an end, in the days of the "self Improver" and latterly as an enjoyable hobby, along side my "day Job" as a 737 Captain, but I have simply been unable to get ANY instructing work at all for 2 Summers. I could find some if I was prepared to travel to my old stomping grounds of Leeds and Sherburn, but where I now live, not a million miles from Blackpool, nothing. Now I know times are hard, but I've lived through recessions before but nothing this bad for the GA fraternity. Is it that schools simply don't like airline pilots? an attitude that I have come across from time to time, or is it just something even my best friends won't tell me about?

nick14
30th Apr 2014, 11:41
Same problem in the midlands at present. No one will talk to me about it, I have had only one positive response but that was from a big school nearly an hour away from me.

RTN11
30th Apr 2014, 13:05
There are too many full time instructors and not enough work.

Mickey Kaye
30th Apr 2014, 14:23
Your obviously not talking to the right people of looking in the right places.

In the last week I know of one instructor who has stepped up from a part time position to full time.

I know another instructor (who only qualified 4 weeks ago) land a part time Saturday and Sunday job.

I also know of one school that had to cancel/re-jig lessons due to instructor shortages.

FlyingOfficerKite
30th Apr 2014, 15:14
firstly as a means to an end, in the days of the "self Improver"

Two problems I think:

1. Recession - fewer people with spare cash; and
2. Fewer (if any) 'self-improvers' working through the flying schools, as many airlines are now following the cadet route with the flight academies.

GA is contracting generally, although the 'sport flying' contingent may be witnessing growth.

The days of Emerald, Gill, Brymon - with progression to the likes of easyJet are gone - as are all those pilots who aspired to fly commerically (me included) and slogged through as a self-improver.

It's sad because those days of progressing and learning and assimilating the world of aviation over a period of time with like-minded individuals are gone.

dobbin1
1st May 2014, 11:32
We're looking for a Saturday only (but possibly leading to more) instructor at Redhill. Offered the opportunity to two instructors, both changed their minds about being available on Saturdays. Still looking.

taybird
1st May 2014, 15:47
In the last few weeks I have been aware of three full time instructor positions in the Midlands plus a couple of part time possible opportunities. I work at three airfields. All are an hour drive or more from where I live, but it's worth it for a good day's work. I think the positions are there but you need to know where to look and who to speak to. All of these are filled now as far as I am aware.

CGaviator
7th May 2014, 01:22
I´m also looking for FI(A) part-time.
I´m based in West London but willing to relocate.
I would appreciate any tips and/or if someone know who is looking for FI(A).
Thanks in advance.

memories of px
16th May 2014, 14:13
are you still looking for a part time instructor?

ROTORVATION
18th May 2014, 12:06
I know of an FI(A) Part time requirement at Southend. PM for details

nick14
18th May 2014, 13:24
Any midlands positions that anyone knows of?

CGaviator
18th May 2014, 20:55
Hi
I'm still looking for a FI part-time.
Could please you PM for details and contacts?
Thank you so much :ok:

dobbin1
19th May 2014, 20:47
redhill vacancy
are you still looking for a part time instructor?

Yes. We are still looking for someone to who can commit to (almost) every Saturday, with some potential for more work. FI (R) acceptable. PM me for more details if interested.