PDA

View Full Version : EASA PPL -> USA

TODA.1
29th Apr 2014, 18:35
Evening all.
Thought I would ask the question here, more for speed of reply.

I am destined for USA this summer (first time,) I proudly hold an EASA PPL, licence will remain current upon arrival in USA. Would value information regarding the procedure of getting airborne in the USA with my EASA.

Also, with regards to holiday insurance, will being airborne have a bearing on this, or is there a separate insurance requirement?

Appreciate any info!

MarkerInbound
29th Apr 2014, 19:22
You'll need an FAA certificate. Luckily the FAA will issue you a private certificate based on your EASA license. The process is covered every month in the North America section. You have your CAA verify your license to the FAA. You tell the FAA which of their Flight Standards District Offices you want to go to to pick up your certificate. You complete a flight review with a Flight Instructor. You go fly.

BackPacker
29th Apr 2014, 19:25
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=faa+foreign+license+verification)

7of9
29th Apr 2014, 20:15
It's taking over three months for the application to go through then another month after the CAA rip you off for 44 quid until you get your FAA letter to apply. So you need to apply tomorrow if you have any chance of getting it sorted before you go over there!

Holiday insurance doesn't cover the flying, you will need renters insurance. Application on AOPA site & you will need an address in USA for the insurance.

Been there seen it done it!

:ok: