PDA

View Full Version : The word 'aerodrome'

WX Man
20th May 2002, 14:10
Why do we use the word 'aerodrome'? What's the difference between an aerodrome and an airport?

SKYYACHT
20th May 2002, 14:22
I think that you will find, historically speaking that older airfields were known as Aerodrome...The root for this is Ancient Greek, who created the Hippodrome, which was basically a large arena where Horses were exercised and displayed. The aerodrome is normally a grass field, with very little in the way of facilities, whereas the word Airport, inmplies a terminus for boarding and disembarking from an aircraft on which you have traveled.

Hope that helps.

gofer
20th May 2002, 14:23
One is from the Latin (via French) the other is the Anglosaxon (Germanic) translation. :)

Well has anybody got a better idea....????????????? :cool:

GoneWest
20th May 2002, 15:45
No difference........if you call them both airfields!!

(Or, learn to fly on floats - then call them "lakes")

Spitoon
20th May 2002, 18:35
I think the word 'airport' first became common to indicate a place with Customs as in 'port' of entry.

Certainly in the UK the law talks about 'aerodromes' only and defines the term widely enough to cover anywhere that aircraft take off and land..

under_exposed
21st May 2002, 08:02
Spitoon, yep an airport is an aerodrome with customs facilities.

javelin
24th May 2002, 08:44
Gone West - yes, but move up north in the USA and lakes become ponds and rivers become streams ! Which is which :D

Woodman
24th May 2002, 18:09
The first time the term 'airport' was used was in the 1920s with reference to Croydon.

For those who don't know, Croydon was the first significant London air terminal situated in what are now the southern suburbs of London.

WX Man
24th May 2002, 21:40
Interesting responses. I am aware that they mean essentially the same thing. To me the word 'aerodrome' is outdated and should be replaced by the word 'airport' (because we need to move with the times, don't we).