PDA

View Full Version : What to do from school?

PeterWilliams
27th Apr 2014, 12:39
Hi, I am currently 17 years of age and in the middle of my AS examinations. I already have one a-level completed in Russian language. I have discovered a true passion for flying in my local aerodrome and am underway of achieving my PPL license. I am studying Physics, Design, French and Art at college but am losing interest to continue with these studies and each day I go to school I am wishing that I could begin the process of applying to flight school and beyond. I have read through the threads on this site and found a lot of people discouraging others from dropping out of A levels. Also last year I completed my GCSE's and achieved 8 A* AND 3 A's. I am seriously lucky enough to have my parents behind me willing to pay for my education in flight school. I would be willing to join one this October as I am turning 18 in September. Is this not enough to be accepted by an airline after achieving all of the licences in flight school? (Bearing in mind I will still complete the AS levels.) I would really appreciate any feedback on this and it would be incredibly helpful to my future.

DooblerChina
28th Apr 2014, 19:05
Finish school!! you have years and years to worry about flying, and to answer your question, my airline have a minimum requirement of a couple of a levels but most new joiners have degrees and some life experience. Average joining age is mid twenties.

You have time!

+TSRA
28th Apr 2014, 19:17
I'll second that. Flying is a great job, but it has a limited number of transferable skills to anything outside of the industry - heck, to even a few within the industry - should you ever want a break from flying or you are no longer able to hold a medical.

Get a diploma or degree on something you can fall back on; a trade certification is best - then you can earn a little more coin on the side and live a decent life instead of with mom and dad for the first couple years.

Too many young pilots focus on flying airplanes. Quite frankly, it gets boring after a while if you don't have something else to occupy your mind with.

Good luck!

Intruder
28th Apr 2014, 19:44
Finish school, preferably in a discipline NOT tied to flying or airlines. Remember that if the airlines aren't hiring pilots, they probably aren't hiring anyone else, either.

With your proficiency in languages, you might find a degree in international commerce helpful...

Learn to fly alongside the academics, not instead of them.

redsnail
28th Apr 2014, 19:48
Peter, you would have the absolute minimum that is legally required once you'd finished your flight training. Will that get you a job in the current environment? No.

If you want to fly an airliner from the get go, you pretty much have to be on a tagged airline scheme. A levels are not generally not enough to get a spot on those. Most candidates have a degree. It is not enough to do an integrated course, you need to be on a tagged one.

If you want a different career, you'll definitely need more than A levels.

Have a look at T&E and the Wannabe forums.

Good luck, to survive in this industry, you'll need tenacity and luck.