Hello Aviators..appreciate replies for the following:
KUL Approach Radar will be commencing 3 Runway
Operations soon. My question is: Does a Controller
need a special validation/rating for three rwy operations
OR can he/she continue on the present validation of
the current two rwy ops?:ok:

anotherthing
24th Apr 2014, 13:51
No specail validation, but I'm sure the controllers will be given a training package to allow them to become familiar with a change in operation....

veloo maniam
24th Apr 2014, 13:59
anotherthing..yes..the training sessions are on-going.
I just completed mine. I was just wondering whether
there are any annexes regarding 3 rwy ops.
Thks :ok:

chevvron
24th Apr 2014, 22:47
Amsterdam Schipol often use more than three runways simultaneously.

Clear2Land78
24th Apr 2014, 23:24
I have worked multiple runway operations at all 3 of my airports.

Long Beach has 5 runways with 3 usually active. I have worked them all alone.

I have done 3 runway operation at JFK although they stopped that cause it could get too much. They want 2 locals working it.

Now, at San Francisco, local controller works all 4 runways.

Never needed special certifying here in the USA.

veloo maniam
25th Apr 2014, 04:05
Thxns guys for all replies.
I believe FAA and ICAO rules differ.
I was more keen to know of any ICAO
rulings pertaining to multiple rwy ops.
Thxns chevvron, will chk out Schipols' rules.
clear2land78....great job...joy to see such expertise
in operation.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Apr 2014, 16:05
A place I worked had three runways but only rarely were they all in use at once. No particular procedures were laid down but any ATCO who had not seen 3-at-once usually did a couple of sessions with a training officer to get used to things.

Married a Canadian
25th Apr 2014, 21:53
veloo

I work at YYZ which has 5 runways. The 3 runway op is the East/West configuration (23s 24s) There we have one runway for departure. One for arrival and then one for a combination of arrival and departure.

Before I came to Canada I had no experience of anymore than dual runway operation. However the training I received in YYZ was enough of a "conversion" to be able to operate multiple runways.
I am presuming it will be the same for you at KUL. Whatever you need to know will be covered by your training. The procedures for your operation will be dependant on the traffic circumstances at the airport and in your sector.
I am pretty sure that whatever is covered in your training will take into account ICAO standards and the operational demand at KUL.

Good luck with the transition.

veloo maniam
26th Apr 2014, 01:27
A big thank you to all for the replies. Over here at WMKK (KUL) we are entering a new phase of 3 rwy ops on May 1st. We are introducing the
Trombone and Point Merge System. PMS has already been in existence for a while. The only thing was that we tracked acft to a single waypoint and spaced them out intrail at 5NM apart on finals. The new PMS is an arc whereby we will peel them off with the required spacing.ENAV from Italy is about to complete all training.:ok:

Clear2Land78
26th Apr 2014, 17:34
Hey YYZ --

I remember visiting your tower and radar facility when I was visited friends in Toronto. You have a nice facility. Didn't look antiquated like places here in the US. LOL.

I actually went up there for a job fair after I heard NavCan was there hoping maybe they'd hire foreign ATCOs (I was at JFK at the time). They said I had to get a visa or marry a Canadian. LOL. I was lucky and Australia hired abroad and got picked up there. Very excited about that.