PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (SSEA) and BGA Glider Pilots Licence to LAPL (S), (A) and TMG rating...

jollyjoe321
23rd Apr 2014, 11:05
Hi all,

I thought I'd got this sorted, when I initially found out about the EASA LAPL I only held a BGA Glider Pilots Licence, of which the conversion is well documented and instructions are easily available...

However! A new item has been thrown into the mix, this summer I will complete my NPPL (SSEA)... I understand that I should convert this to an LAPL (A), and the BGA GPL should be converted to an LAPL (S). (Bit of a pain they aren't on the same licence as ratings, whoop de doo).

Now, I can deal with the conversion, but I intend on flying Touring Motor Gliders (TMG), and apparently I can get a rating for this on both the LAPL (S) and (A)....!

I was just wondering what options are available here, I'm more likely to lose my LAPL (S) through lack of flying hours than the LAPL (A)...

Should I do differences training on my NPPL (SSEA) to also get an NPPL (SLMG), and send both off with my LAPL (A) licence application to get the rating on the LAPL (A), or should I wait and get the rating on my LAPL (S)...

Heeeeeeelp! :ugh::ugh:

Thanks in advance guys.

kestrel539
23rd Apr 2014, 13:50
Finish your NPPL SSEA, then add, via a conversion flight, the SLMG rating to the NPPL.
Once you have that, convert to the LAPL(A), with a TMG endorsement.
With that in your hand, convert your BGA Glider Pilot Licence to an LAPL(S), again, with the TMG endorsement.
Provided you do the hours etc in the TMG, you will be able to keep it current
on both licenses.
Thats my understanding at least.
Cheers

Prop swinger
23rd Apr 2014, 18:35
Adding an SLMG to an NPPL(SSEA) involves "proof of conversion training" with an SLMG instructor.

Adding TMG privileges to an LAPL(A) involves a minimum 3 hours training, including at least 20 take-offs & landings, & then a skill test with an examiner. Good luck finding an EASA TMG examiner with access to a TMG.

You never lose an EASA LAPL, you just lose the privileges if you are out of recency. TMG hours maintain your recency for both TMG & SEP on an (A) licence but not for sailplanes on an (S) licence. However, it will be trivially easy to get back into sailplane recency if you ever want to in the future, so probably worth applying for it, & there's no downside to adding the TMG at the same time.

Flying_Anorak
23rd Apr 2014, 22:39
I'm in a similar position to the original poster with the added complication that as a gliding instructor I plan to get an SPL (rather than a LAP(S)) to sit alongside my newly converted LAPL(A) which is intended to replace my NPPL (SSEA) with TMG rating once the postman delivers.

The accepted advice is to add a TMG rating to both / all licences and if you are having trouble finding an examiner, can I recommend that you speak to Ray Brownrigg at Oxfordshire Sport Flying at Enstone. I'm sure he can sort you out.

Happy Licence Hunting!

FA

jollyjoe321
24th Apr 2014, 08:00
Thanks guys, that was quite helpful, I'll do exactly what kestrel says I think!

Keep the shiny side up...

J

kevkdg
29th Apr 2014, 21:00
Would you end up with all licences on the one piece of paper..

Would each conversion be subject to a separate caa conversion charge.

robin
30th Apr 2014, 20:10
I'm still confused.

I have a Silver C but haven't flown gliders for 4 years. I have an EASA PPL(A) but how do I get the LAPL(S) as well?

Tried contacting the BGA 3 times but have had no response

Prop swinger
30th Apr 2014, 20:26
Web page (http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/licensing/easalicensing.htm).

Conversion form with guidance (http://www.gliding.co.uk/bgainfo/Conversion/GuidanceandConversionAppFormcombined.pdf).

Basically, BGA evidence of Bronze badge + cross-country endorsement = EASA sailplane licence.

You will also need certified logbook evidence of the appropriate number of launches to qualify for any particular launch method, certified copy of photo id & a certified copy of your medical. Valid certifiers are a club CFI, chairman or secretary.