PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation - Proficiency Check Flight

TODA.1
22nd Apr 2014, 16:47
Hello all,
Would value advice regarding the following matter; I passed PPL skills test (A) October 2012, this was subsequently the date of my last flight. For my confirmation, I have read that a 1 hour proficiency check with an Examiner is suffice to keep licence current?

Regards to all responses in advance!

foxmoth
22nd Apr 2014, 17:28
Have you been/are you currently flying, if so you may not need to do this, 12 hours in the last 12 months of validity and a one hour flight with an instructor (not a test as such), it then needs signing off by an examiner, otherwise it is a test with an examiner. Just noticed that you are saying skills test was your last flight - maybe you need to ask yourself if it is worth revalidating!? If so, maybe do a check out which will do for the flight with an instructor and GET SOME FLYING DONE!!

MrAverage
22nd Apr 2014, 17:49
TODA.1

If you're serious about continuing with your flying you need to get to grips with CAP 804, in this case Section 4 FCL. 740, and several other online official sources of info.

Talkdownman
22nd Apr 2014, 18:30
I passed PPL skills test (A) October 2012, this was subsequently the date of my last flight
Are you really interested in flying…?

Level Attitude
22nd Apr 2014, 20:20
I passed PPL skills test (A) October 2012, this was subsequently the date of my last flightHi TODA.1
Having looked up some of your previous Posts I believe I know why you haven't flown since passing your Skills Test. If I am correct then Good Luck with your A-Levels, and don't think about flying until after your last exam.

To answer your question:

As you passed your Skills Test in October 2012 you would have been issued with an EASA Licence. This is valid for life and the only thing needed to keep it usable is a current and valid Medical.

However a Licence only entitles you to be a Pilot (in general). It does not 'qualify' you to fly a particular aeroplane. For this you need a valid Rating.

I assume you obtained an SEP Rating. Which would, therefore expire two years after your Skills Test (which was actually a test for both the Licence and the Rating) in October 2014.

You therefore should currently be legal to fly, but will definitely need some 'brush up' with an Instructor (even if you are brilliant no one will hire you an aircraft without checking you out).

To Revalidate your Rating (keep it going for another two years without break) requires you to have 12 hours of flying in the last year (the year prior to 31 Oct 2014) which may now be difficult for you, or to pass a Proficiency Check with an Examiner.

Whichever route used an Examiner must sign your Rating before it expires, otherwise you will need to Renew it.

To Renew an SEP Rating you need to visit an ATO or RF (a Flying School) who will then assess your training requirements (could be none), conduct the training to bring you up to standard and then issue you with a 'Training Completed' certificate.

You then take the Proficiency Check with an Examiner (no Course Completion Certificate = No Test) who, if you pass, will then sign your SEP Rating as being valid for another two years (from the last day of the month in which you took the test) on your Licence.

TODA.1
23rd Apr 2014, 09:50
Thank you all for your kind advice.

Just a brief word of enlightenment to Talkdownman, in answer to your question, "are you really interested in flying...?"
I am very much interested in flying, having flown 6 different types of aircraft, solo on 16th birthday and achieved PPL on 17th birthday, I am now 18. I have every intention and desire to reach my goal. Perhaps not as favoured as you with regard to financial ability, hence a brief pause due to lack of funding. So in between times alongside my school studies I continue to speculate to accumulate.
Talkdownman, if you are anyway exercised to help fund my hour building, then your generosity would be very much appreciated.

dash6
16th Apr 2019, 20:40
Fell on this thread while searching for the same info.Well said TODA so how has it gone? Good luck.