PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAR PPL?

AerBabe
19th May 2002, 20:45
I've just had a phone call from a pal in the US who I persuaded to learn to fly. Unfortunately his company just been told him he has to come back to the UK, and he won't have time to get his PPL finished. He has completed all the requirements to do the test in the US, but hasn't had time to take it. He would like to know how much of what he has done would count towards a JAR PPL.

Thanks in advance! :)

DesiPilot
19th May 2002, 21:24
Dear AerBabe,

If he did his training in a school not approved by UK CAA, he can count his time towards total time required but the UK CAA will require him to do the training with approved instructor. So he will be required to do 25 hours of dual training and 10 hours of solo and pass seven written exams, the RT practical and the JAA PPL Skill test before CAA will issue his Private licence.
My suggestion is to look for an FAA examiner in the UK and take his flight test there. He can fly in the UK on his FAA licence and it will be cheaper to convert to JAA licence later.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
19th May 2002, 23:59
I understand that there is only one FAA Examiner left in Europe and he is out of Germany. The FAA have been dwindling them out so that FAA testing will only continue in the US of A.

After rumours (no first hand knowledge) I understand that this particular examiner also does type ratings; by the time he gets to PPL practical tests he seems to be a little tougher and got the reputation of Pink Slip (failed slip). This was about 2 years ago so things may have changes:)

I would suggest at least to try and get the FAA licence. Once your friend has this the conversion to JAA is relatively easy (2 writtens and a skill test). However, time may not allow for this luxury.

This is not the first time I have heard this happen - some schools in the big new world do not realize the approvals required by JAA and think it is much like the US where all training counts whoever is giving it. Something for PPL ers to watch for.

BEagle
20th May 2002, 05:25
Shouldn't that read 100 hrs TT, 2 writtens and the 2 1/2 - 3 hour PPL Skill Test?

Julian
20th May 2002, 10:50
Aer babe,

Give Tom Houston a ring at American Flight Services 01603 301902, he is an FAA and JAA instructor and can arrange the FAA flight test for your mate.

He will then be able to use his FAA PPL without paying extra flying N reg planes. I converted my JAA PPL to an FAA PPL to fly over there so there should be some sort of agreement the other way as well, maybe someone on here has done it, took me 10mins and £0 at the local FSDO. He can then potter about in G reg.

Julian.

englishal
20th May 2002, 17:30
And don't forget that once he/ she has his / her FAA PPL there is NO NEED to convert to JAA should they only want to fly day VFR in a G reg aircraft in the UK...The FAA PPL is quite ok for this.

Its not very fair if you ask me, the FAA will issue you an FAA PPL based on your foreign licence, and even add your ME and IR onto it if you have them, all for the grand sum of F'kall (well, maybe a few $ for the 'Instrument foreign pilot' computer test). Yet our US friends come over here, and end up getting royally screwed. They should be Welcomed 'to rip-off Britian' on their arrival by immigration :p

Cheers
EA

AerBabe
20th May 2002, 17:37
Thanks for the answers everyone. They've been passed on to my mate! :)