PDA

View Full Version : Which is the chose Twin for training in?

Gin Slinger
19th May 2002, 14:43
Howdy! My first post in Private Flying!

I'm currently investigating which a/c to do my MEP rating in. Because I am looking to do an IR later, and I'd prefer to it in the same a/craft, limiting my list to:

Either Seneca II or a Duchess.

I've never flown a Duchess but I did have a go in a Seneca II and found it a pain in the butt having an uncouth French CFI shout "overboost, overboost" in my ear the whole time!

Comments plse on either a/craft!

GoneWest
19th May 2002, 15:10
Choose the school first - then use whatever aircraft they have.

Either change the instructor - or don't overboost the engines - or go in a Seneca 1 (which doesn't do it) ... or a Seneca V (if you can afford it).

Consider, also, the Piper Seminole. (Cranfiled).

Duchess (Bournemouth), Seneca (Bristol).

englishal
19th May 2002, 15:22
I learned in a Seneca II, which was good becasue it does teach you about engine management which normally you wouldn't bother about....i.e you can't just whack open the throttles on take off or else you will overboost the engines, and like wise going around etc. It is a bit of a pain in the arse having a CFI shouting 'overboost' in your ears every few minutes, but after a while you get the knack of not overboosting all the time.

I love the Seneca II, especially at high density altitude airports. Everyone else is struggling to miss the trees at the end of the runway, but in the S II, its virtually the same as being at sea level...

Cheers
EA

distaff_beancounter
19th May 2002, 15:37
Gin Slinger, I would agree with GoneWest. Choose the school first.

Also remember that, under JAR, the school must be an FTO. I have noticed that there are schools advertising multi-engine ratings in Pilot & Flyer & on their websites, when they are not FTOs. Does the CAA ever check this point?

Have you considered the GA7 Cougar? Very nice docile beast, with no nasty traits. Its not the fastest at 140 kts, but it is very forgiving.

I have flown them for over 10 years, & find them much easier to handle than the Seneca, especially in & out of grass fields, & in windy conditions, as it has a demonstrated cross wind limit of 25 kt (very useful for a British summer!).

And don't worry at over-boosting with the turbo-chargers, 'cos it hasn't got any :D

foghorn
20th May 2002, 20:14
Having flown the GA7 and Duchess (and the Aztec), I'd say the Duchess - a lovely aircraft.

No overboosting problems plus it's an excellent IFR platform with virtually no pitch change when flap is deployed, light responsive controls and an ergonomic cockpit layout.

cheers!
foggy.

Gin Slinger
20th May 2002, 21:19
Thanks for your thoughts guys - did anyone notice the typo in the title?

Has anyone flown with Wycombe Air Centre?

A and C
21st May 2002, 18:37
The BE76 is a good place to start the multi and a good IF aircraft.