PDA

View Full Version : My flight test

sean1
19th May 2002, 11:46
If anybody is intrested, I would like to share this:
“Clear prop!’ I shouted and after a look around, I toggled the master switch to ‘On’, grasped the ignition key and turned it to the ‘start’ position.. Oscar-Quebec’s 160 horse-power engine fired-up. The familiar heathy growl of the Lycoming was an almost pleasing resonance which cut through the still morning air . A quick check on the engine instruments to verify normal indications and after obtaining clearance from Seletar Ground, we taxied to Whiskey One holding point. After clearance to line up. I entered the active and stopped on the center line. My headphone crackled to life: “Niner Oscar-Quebec, wind zero four zero, 7 knots, Clear for Takeoff”. I replied “Clear takeoff, Niner Oscar-Quebec”. Maximum power was applied, and remembering to kick-in a generous dose of right rudder, yes guys, this was a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, and we were off to the training area. The entire test profile: Stalls, Slow flight, I..F and Steep Turns seemed to whizz by. And after short period dodging clouds we were positioning over the airfield for a PFL. I was instructed to touch down on the second marker which I duly did. The rest of the circuit: Glides, Flapless Low-level, E.F.A.T.O and Go-around went very smoothly. And I was almost disappointed to hear the words filtering in to my headphones from the examiner : “O.K, downwind to land”. Downwind checks done and a MLT put us on base in the landing configuration: flaps 20, Power 1300 rpm and trimmed for 70 knots. I turned to final and waited for the airspeed to settle down to 65 knots. I recalled being briefed during the pre-flight that the requirement was a very stable approach path control, with correct decent profile and stable airspeed. The glide path looked good as I contemplated the sight picture in front of me. 500 feet over the final approach fix, ATC called out: “Niner Oscar-Quebec, wind three zero- zero, 8 knots, Cleared to land”. Over the threshold now and a smooth round-out followed by the required back pressure/ hold-off, and moments later the mainwheels settled on the tarmac”. My headphones came to life: “Niner Oscar-Quebec, whiskey 2 for vacate”. The weather had turned worse than when we took off 1 hour 29 minutes ago, but to me it was a beautiful morning as I had just completed my Flight handling Test in Singapore.

FlyingForFun
20th May 2002, 08:20
Congrats Sean, sounds like you did well! :D

Now you can go out and start enjoying yourself!

Just out of interest, do you not have to do any navigation as part of the test in Singapore? Or is that a separate flight?

FFF
---------------

LowNSlow
20th May 2002, 10:49
Nice one Sean sounds like you enjoyed that.

FFF, a student's first land away is also their first international flight unless they go to Changi. It's like the Channel Isles, to get the 300nm and 2 landaways they have to go international.

I had a checkout in Seletar in the mid Nineties and I was very impressed by the standard of the operation and the condition of the aircraft. SCAA were quite efficient turning around my application while I waited during an extended lunch hour!

FlyingForFun
20th May 2002, 12:33
Ooh, sounds like fun! :D

FFF
--------------