PDA

View Full Version : B737 Communications

TyRod
5th Apr 2014, 01:43
Hello guys,

Some questions about the 737 communications.

1) About the service and flight Intercom, do I need to select one of the switches of the transmitter selector? Or no can I speak with the other pilot or the flight attendant who call just by setting the push to talk switch to the I/C position on the ACP?
If I let the push to talk switch to the neutral position, then i will need to use service or fly intercom transmitter selector to transmit, is that correct?

2) What about the push to talk switch positions ( MIC, OFF, INT) on the control wheel? Does that work the same way?

3)In flight for example, what are the positions selected for the push to talk switches on the ACP and control wheel?

4)What is the Offside tuning? How does that work?

5)Can you give me explanations about the USB ( upper side band) and the differences with the AM ( amplitude modulation) and in what conditions would you choose one over the other one?

Thanks

c100driver
5th Apr 2014, 03:29
Flight Intercom can be accessed by the Control Column trigger (Bottom of the switch) or the PTT on the ASP in the I/C position.

Flight Intercom is both pilots and the Ground if plugged into the flight inter phone position.

Service Interphone you need to select on the ASP and use the Mic switch on the control column trigger. (Top of the switch) or the ASP PTT in the Mic position.

Service Interphone is the Cabin crew or if on the ground with the Service Interphone Switch on a number of external ground positions.

RVF750
5th Apr 2014, 08:50
Offside tuning is the ability of your own com tuning panel to tune the other ones. The button lit is the one that it is both displaying and tuning.

thus you should normally see the 1 lit on Captain's side, 2 lit on F/o and three on the third box if fitted. You can tune Com 1 by reaching across or pushing the button 2 and tuning the one next to you.

It was a nice idea until much better systems came along......but it's the best we have on the 737....

latetonite
5th Apr 2014, 12:57
..and pretty much confusing for the new guys.

Ozlander1
5th Apr 2014, 15:30
..and pretty much confusing for the new guys.

If they're confused by that, they should be doing something else. :ugh:

latetonite
5th Apr 2014, 18:44
I agree, but they are already confused by a holding pattern entry on the ND, a descent profile, a taxi clearance, and even an artificial horizon.
But they paid for the license, so, after 250 hrs, the only question is: 'How long to command?'.

STBYRUD
6th Apr 2014, 06:52
Regarding HF comms - you would usually use USB when talking to ATC, if you want to know what the difference between full AM and single sideband (USB or LSB) is: Wikipedia is your friend ;)

Raptor71
15th Apr 2015, 01:31
Hi,

New to the 737 and doing my TR currently and I have some questions on the ACP.

Coming from an airplane in which you have a PTT on the ACP:

( I/C: NORMAL POSITION, allowing you to hear and speak to your colleague (and the cabin crew when they call) without having to do anything with the transmitter switches when you use your boom set, however, if you use your microphone, then you need to select the INT transmitter switch; NEUTRAL POSITION: rarely used; R/T: used when you do not want to use the PTT switch located on your Control wheel)

and one on the Control wheel : two positions ( neutral and pushed (used to transmit when one transmitter switch is selected)

Pretty simple I must say.
I do not know if the B737 FCOM is unclear but the ACP use seems complicated

I mean, do I need to do anything to speak to my colleague and the cabin crew ( when they call the flight deck)? Can I let the PTT on the ACP in the I/C position and talk to them without using the PTT on my CW?
Is it equivalent to letting the ACP PTT in the neutral position and use the CW PTT in the INT position with the FLT INT transmitter sw selected?

Thank you