PDA

View Full Version : Sennheiser vs David Clark?

undertheweather
18th May 2002, 17:07
Thinking of splashing out on a new headset. Have mostly used David Clark ones in the past (usually club sets doled out to all and sundry flying the club aircraft). They also seem the headset of choice for everyone else. Why is that? It can't be price, as they're certainly not the cheapest. Quality? Reliability?

The question I really want answered is - What about Sennheiser? Saw a pair at Aerofair today and they looked fab. Has anyone got an opinion on Sennheiser vs David Clark?

If this has all been debated before, apologies, and can you direct me to the relevant link

bookworm
18th May 2002, 17:23
I suggest the following test.

Take one of each headset. Hold one by the cord about a metre from the connection to the headset. Twirl it around your head as fast as possible. Now release it in the direction of a brick wall at a distance of two metres. Repeat with the other headset. After the test, return any non-functioning headset to the manufacturer.
:)

Unrealistic test? Perhaps, but that fact seems to be lost on the David Clark Company, who seem to make headsets that survive it -- thank God.

[Bookworm takes no responsibility for losses suffered by anyone dumb enough to actually ... :)]

A and C
18th May 2002, 18:32
I own both of the headsets , the sennheiser is a very light type that I use on an airliner flight deck and for that is superb but would be totaly useless in a light aircraft.

I started flying 22 years ago and had three headsets fail , then eleven years back I got a DC it has worked without fault ever since , I just wish that I had had the advice to Buy a DC at the start of my flying because I think if I had I would only have had to buy one headset.

A light aircraft headset must be robust and the DC is the only one that will stand the test of time.

sean1
19th May 2002, 11:41
I was using a Telex 100 for about 6 months when I got a DC 10.13 as a gift. The difference between the two I found was that the DC had better noise rejection than the Telex.Both have passive noise reduction.

AC-DC
19th May 2002, 12:23
I have both, got the Sennheiser only yesterday (after seating with it for 2.5h in front of the TV). If you want an ANR set the Sennheiser is a very nice fit, I would not buy the non-ANR Sennheiser Sennheiser. However, the DC can cause headaches if worn for long period of time.

Tinstaafl
19th May 2002, 13:00
Headaches? Shouldn't occur if they're adjusted to fit properly.

redsnail
19th May 2002, 14:04
I have been using my trusty DC 10-20's for about 15 years. Slightly old fashioned mike but it has an adjustable gain on it. Very useful feature if dealing with a mixture of mikes etc.
I have dropped, kicked, generally abused the headset in a variety of hot and inhospitable conditions. They still work. They can be repaired quite easily. I wouldn't part with them. Initially slightly uncomfortable but like a good crash helmet it has molded to my head.
Well worth the money.

I have control
19th May 2002, 16:30
I have used both extensively and they are both good headsets.

Given the choice I would go for the Sennheiser on the basis that it is cheaper for at least the same performance, plus I really appreciate the simple & straightforward boom for the mic.

AC-DC
20th May 2002, 09:24
Tinstaafl

“Headaches? Shouldn't occur if they're adjusted to fit properly.”

How do you do it? I have pushed them up and down with the same result.
:confused:

Tinstaafl
20th May 2002, 15:36
It's not just the slide adjustment that needs to be considered. The length needed for each ear can be different.

There's also things like the type of ear pad, the head pad & where you position it on your crown and the clamping pressure of the headband. If you wear glasses then you must also consider the type of frame you have: Thin wire is better than thick plastic and makes the gel filled ear pads worth their weight in gold...

Only adjust one thing at a time, wear it for a long time & over a number of flights.

Take the time to try to identify what aspect of the headset is causing the discomfort & readjust for that thing.

Repeat ad-nauseum

Once you find a suitable setup, tighten everything up to prevent it getting moved.

Noggin
20th May 2002, 19:39
Huge great spring over the top that won't weaken!!
Comfortable for people with small heads!!
Still prefer the DC, it passes all the survivabiity tests, just wish you could weaken the spring; but then you'd let the noise in.

Mak
21st May 2002, 13:39
Hi All,
I found this thread quite timely since I am planning to acquire a headset (having started training for a PPL).

Most people swear by DCs but what are the options? Also, are active noise reduction sets a good choice? If so which ones should I look at?

Thank you all for your help.
Mak

The man formerly known as
21st May 2002, 16:46
DCs do seem to be good but has anyone experienced the fact they are incompatible with most other headsets.

I have several headsets, none of which are DCs all of which are of varying quality directly related to price. All of the sets work fine until a DC is introduced then feedback and microphone cut outs start to happen. ATC also start reporting radio checks of 3-4 instead of the normal 5.

Is it just me?

BTW the best headset i've tried is the Peltor.

QNH 1013
21st May 2002, 19:23
TMFKA, No its not just you. Some DC headsets seem to have compatibility problems with other headsets. I don't know why and that is the only thing I have against them. OK, I know they're more expensive than the competition, but I fly enough to be willing to pay the extra for the rugged and reliable build quality. Its just I have had several bad experiences in my aircraft when DCs have been added. I don't know if this applies to all the DC models, but certainly some of them are "different" microphone-wise.
I use a sub-£100 headset which I find very comfortable, and which I have rewired to improve reliability.

undertheweather
22nd May 2002, 22:32
Thanks for all your replies. I went along this evening to try out some headsets, thinking that the Sennheiser ANR was the one for me.

However, I changed my mind after I'd tried both the DC and Sennheiser models on. First of all, all that extra kit, battery boxes, extra wires etc for the ANR sets - I decided it wasn't worth the extra money for all the extra fiddling, plus where do you put it all?

Second, the DC's were much more comfortable than the Sennheiser. So, despite the price premium that DC want to extract from me, it looks like they get my vote, especially the 13.4.

They are not bought yet however, as they are a promised birthday present from the wife, and I need to drag her along with her credit card!

Bouncy Landing
22nd May 2002, 23:15
Before I bouoght my DC 13.4s I spent ages in Transair trying every set they had. The most useful test I fouond was to rapidly shake my head side to side - which ones held best whilst being comfortable..... Yes the 13.4s and thats what I bought and am delighted.

I have control
22nd May 2002, 23:22
This DC incompatability thing interests me because I have heard it a lot in the world of aviation.

My feeble grasp of electronics tells me to suspect an urban myth but can someone more informed explain why this might be?

Noggin
23rd May 2002, 06:40
Headset compatibility is largely due to the Intercom system or rather the lack of one. When the aircraft radio is used to provide IC facilities Microphones are often connected in parallel. The standard US aircraft was designed to take a carbon microphone, a DC fed high output device. In the various attempts to replace this with higher tech devices typically moving coil and electret mics, an amplifier and DC block has to be included in the circuit. This amplifier is powered by the DC feed and different designs vary considerably in impedance and resistance, the result is that one microphone will draw a different current to another, this in turn varies the DC supply voltage that is protected by a series resistor in the aircraft intercom. The net result is that some headsets reduce the voltage to a point where it will not power the second headset. Provided you have an independant intercom system, compatibility should not be a problem.

Flyboy-F33
23rd May 2002, 12:49
I have the Sennheiser non ANR and have found them to be very good in terms of nise reduction, I tested many and found there noise reduction capabilities to be about the best. I also found them very comfortable over long distances.
A pilot who flew with me recently for the first time commented immediately on how impressed he was with them, he owns DC's.
The deciding factor was they look good, and cost little.

AC-DC
24th May 2002, 11:50
Tinstaafl
Thanks. It seems like a rocket since.

undertheweather
The ANR come to life when you are flying. Losing the low level noise is great. I di not know what i've missed until I tried.