PDA

View Full Version : Is Rotorheads turning into JH?

handysnaks
1st Apr 2014, 20:25
Maybe I'm getting old, but it seems to me that an increasing number of threads these days are degenerating into childish insults and name calling! I do look at The JH forum across the pond and have always felt that Rotorheads on Pprune was a much more adult affair. It doesn't really seem to be the case anymore whilst we have this ongoing transatlantic willie swinging contest which seems to detract from what start off as valid, important and informative threads. If someone doesn't agree with our point of view is it not acceptable any more to just disagree or is it obligatory to insult them, their country and he ship they sailed in on! (No question mark, it was a rhetorical question)!
Phew, I feel better for that:ugh:

paco
1st Apr 2014, 20:50
You're not alone.....

Phil

thechopper
1st Apr 2014, 21:14
My sentiments exactly :ugh:

ShyTorque
1st Apr 2014, 22:51
Me too. Once upon a time we didn't have a moderator here because we self policed and it was unnecessary. Not so now.

Helilog56
1st Apr 2014, 23:24
Yep...pretty much trashy with all the bleating, by the self professed experts on this site. Pick any thread here, and you'll see, they pretty much degenerate to low brow name calling and bickering like school children....:=

ec155mech
2nd Apr 2014, 08:10
Could it be that as the younger curling generation has made it in to the industry the respect for authority or people with far more experience than one self, is declining.
It's not a great tendency and I can imagine that if the same attitude from here is applied irl it is causing some real MCC issues ?

Anyone encountered this ? Paco ?

Thomas coupling
2nd Apr 2014, 09:13
It's a mixture of:

(a) People like Handysnaks getting older and grumpier :\
(b) Changing times - people are more "enquiring/challenging" :ugh:
(c) Pprune is much much bigger now and more people are aware of it. Hence the increasing activity (and associated eclectic mix of responses) :*

But the fabric remains intact - methinks............no?

paco
2nd Apr 2014, 09:29
ec - there is indeed a new generation that have been brought up believing that they will never fail anything, they will just get graded, which is a real shock when it comes to the real world. We see it all the time in the classroom, and the attitude problem that results. I am all for being (slightly) anti-authority, as people who know me will attest :), because it protects you against bullying passengers and management, but this is different.

I can see it becoming a real MCC problem.

phil

MOSTAFA
2nd Apr 2014, 09:38
It's like buying a humidifier and a de-humidifier......just put them on the same forum and let them fight it out. Besides everybody knows 2 heli pilots in the same room = argument, or does anybody wanna argue?

MCC was never a problem when people just did what they were told!

John Eacott
2nd Apr 2014, 09:43
The issue of the current generation's reluctance to accept both the wisdom and advice of the 'older' generation was highlighted to me during our bushfire season. There is a whole new mob of firefighters all too willing to dispute the orders given, as they Google on their smartphones and tell the Brigade Lieutenants "you shouldn't be doing it that way".

Shortly followed by an attitude adjustment, but not always what is wanted on the fireline.

We have our characters here on RH who know just how far to go when being contentious, but also having the grace to do so with humour. Then again there are a number who lately have just become a PITA and (probably) deserve the responses that they get. Should that be moderated out, or left to be seen by all who come here? Heliport pointed out that this has always been a low profile forum for moderating, and long may it continue to be so.

Let's face it, PPRuNe is not and never has been a democracy: we all sign on with an understanding of the rules and the umpire's decision being final. There seems to have been an unnecessary arguing against this of late, showing a lack of grace by those who choose not to accept the RoE.

paco
2nd Apr 2014, 09:44
"Shortly followed by an attitude adjustment"

I tend to use wall-to-wall counselling myself :)

Hippolite
2nd Apr 2014, 10:24
Heliport wrote

Thankfully, the main culprits now seem to have departed

Yes, but with some of them, a great deal of industry knowledge and passion.

Rotorheads is the poorer for some of the recent departures, in my opinion.

I also feel that RH has become a little too UK centric these days and is no longer a site where Professional Pilots feel comfortable discussing issues in a forum of mutual respect, which has gone now.

Flying Lawyer
2nd Apr 2014, 11:24
TC But the fabric remains intact - methinks............no?

I think so too.

What I find frustrating, and I've noticed sometimes raises the temperature, is good interesting discussions about helicopter ops being spoilt by the constant interruptions of armchair experts.

As a PPL, I've always welcomed the opportunity to learn from the professionals, whether they are all agreed or exchanging different opinions.

FL

Boudreaux Bob
2nd Apr 2014, 11:40
In the words of a Great American, "Can't We all just get along?".:oh:

Ian Corrigible
2nd Apr 2014, 12:58
While it's always tempting to blame The Yoof that's hardly fair in this case, given that some of the most curmudgeonly (and incessantly political) posters are seasoned fliers.

So what's the solution? Should we 'call out' problem posters more often, or should we call in the mods more often?

I/C

ShyTorque
2nd Apr 2014, 13:18
ShyTorque
Quote:
Once upon a time we didn't have a moderator here because we self policed and it was unnecessary.

That's not actually correct, but I was very pleased to read it.

Hate to question a moderator, or even a "retired" moderator, but I'm not sure that was always case. I first began posting RW stuff on PPRuNe in 1995.

Actually, come to think of it, back then I was the only one doing so!

MOSTAFA
2nd Apr 2014, 13:43
See what you started Andy.

18 posts and somebody chucks their teddy out the pram!!!!!

Dennis Kenyon
2nd Apr 2014, 14:02
And there was I reading the first 18 posts with the utmost seriousness and along came Mostafa and then I fell out of my pram laughing!!! DRK

MOSTAFA
2nd Apr 2014, 17:37
I think he shot off looking for his teddy.

ShyTorque
2nd Apr 2014, 17:48
I wasn't around in 1995 so I bow to your longer experience.
There was another Mod before me. I can't remember his name now but I remember he had a chip about Mil posters and, as a result, many stopped posting. The forum was almost dead when I was asked to take over and I was very pleased that they came back - some under different usernames.

Was the earlier mod's username something to do with "S76"? Not sure. There have been at least two major site crashes, I lost my old 1990s username because I emigrated at the time of one of them. I was offline for some time and when I tried to get back online someone else had registered using that name.

I was asked to moderate here a very long time ago but I decided to decline the kind offer. I knew it often seems to cause the "moderatees" to turn their angst against the moderator himself, rather than against those they were previously chastising. Seems to me that some forget there are real people behind the forum usernames. This is often the case on another forum on which I do moderate and life is really too short; so I greatly appreciate the efforts of those who do choose to "pick up the torch" here!

I've never yet been banned from any forum (probably come close a few times) but I have certainly had a few posts deleted. Whether or not I felt it was justified I always make a point of never complaining about it. Unlike some who almost want to come to physical violence when they are so "affronted" by a moderator who after all, is only doing voluntary work.

grumpytroll
2nd Apr 2014, 18:09
They have cars that won't start unless you pass a breathalyzer. I suggest the same thing in order to log on to chat rooms.

or, as you unlock the liquor cabinet, an automatic signal is sent to your computer to shut if off for 12 hours.

thoughts?

Cheers

Thomas coupling
2nd Apr 2014, 18:23
Jesus - It seems I have landed in the middle of some kind of background conflict???? I haven't a clue what I have done but it seems I am a naughty boy. Ooops - maybe I am not allowed to go that far even.:uhoh::uhoh:

Hippolite, I may not be far behind you............

MOSTAFA
2nd Apr 2014, 19:11
I blame Andy - he started it!

Heliport
2nd Apr 2014, 19:25
ShyTorque

Was the earlier mod's username something to do with "S76"? Not sure.
Possibly - he was an S76 pilot.

H.

Old Age Pilot
2nd Apr 2014, 19:29
There will always be an argument in an argument, so to speak.

But what surprises me, is the often non-recognition of the 'Lost In Translation' aspect of written word. I'm a firm believer that you can never really catch the tone of the typee. Which in turn, leads to bickering. Even certain fonts can read differently in tone. In a nutshell; take a breather and give some the benefit of the doubt.

There just seems to be a more ready state of agitated retaliation.

Lack of something?:O

handysnaks
2nd Apr 2014, 21:17
TC/mostafa, having just had a very nice night out in the second city (Purity Craft Bar is highly recommended), and consequently being confused as a newt, (and yes, I haven't changed, it only took two pints). I would like to respond with some wit and repartee. :p However, I know that any response under the influence of Warwickshires finest beverage would not be at all amusing in the cold light of day. So maybe I shall mull over it for a night and get back to you....

Thomas coupling
2nd Apr 2014, 22:09
Handy: mull away...................you've caused all this and Mostafa is stirring it all:p

Gaseous
2nd Apr 2014, 22:09
Pedalstop was a mod in the early days. Not very active as I recall.

MOSTAFA
2nd Apr 2014, 22:30
Moi!!!!!!!!!

Thomas coupling
3rd Apr 2014, 07:31
Bit like Mostafa et moi, non? :E

MOSTAFA
3rd Apr 2014, 08:01
Nah TC nothing like! Least I don't think so???

I've never been a Mod (more of a greaser, only girls rode scooters in my day).
Not certain I have ever been a valuable contributor!
It surely does have something to do with the subject - don't it! Andy is spot on, post 18 was indicative of exactly his point, wasn't it?
I don't have any friends. (Lonely, I'm Mr lonely)
I'm never going to be an asset - (been called something beginning with ass many times before though).

So close to retirement now I'm looking forward to being a professional protagonist or is it antagonist - never really been sure what the difference is? Unless of course it means ones better at it!

Dennis Kenyon
3rd Apr 2014, 09:42
Come on lads ... lets start a 'keyboard warrior' campaign.

I love this site ... the humour, the terrific technicals, the odd fight and the occasional 'name dropping' experience. Beats my 'Page Three' reading any day. DRK

MOSTAFA
3rd Apr 2014, 10:13
Please forgive me if I have annoyed anybody with my obvious feeble attempt to bring, just a smidgen of levity to a thread discussing a most pressing and timely issue.

If my enjoyment (perversion) is annoying, I apologise profusely - but if you only knew the immense pleasure I get from it!

Besides, Andy has always been game for a laugh.

jayteeto
3rd Apr 2014, 11:46
Its sometimes very difficult when you post on emotive subjects. If someone is 100% wrong and will not listen to something that you know is a fact, it is very easy to lose it after the fifth time pointing it out.

The Night Owl
3rd Apr 2014, 22:25
It is the concept of mods posting under separate identities that interests me...

Is that how some of the tyrants on here get away with their antics?!?!;)

Heliport
3rd Apr 2014, 23:18
It is the concept of mods posting under separate identities that interests me...

That has always been SOP for Mods.

Is that how some of the tyrants on here get away with their antics?!?!;)No.
I know our Mod's other username and I can assure you he's not one of the 'tyrants'. :)

H.

Boudreaux Bob
4th Apr 2014, 00:01
Which "Just Helicopters" Forum is being refererred to in the comments here as there are two of them.

One warns you ahead of time that it is a "Free For All" style forum and then there is the other more formal and tranquil Forum.

It would probably help this discussion if One were to identify which of the two JH's One is using for comparison.

Or does accuracy not count?

As usual it seems some folks talk out their butt as no mention has ever been made of the "Alternate" Forum at Just Helicopters.

The Night Owl
4th Apr 2014, 06:04
Ok thanks Heliport, just checking!

handysnaks
4th Apr 2014, 20:12
Hello Bob. Sorry for the delay, sometimes work calls! I was referring to the original forum rather than the alternate. I would add that I am not explicitly criticising JH, it is what it is and if I look there (and I do, fairly regularly), I expect to have to get that mouse wheeling through plenty of drivel to get to some of the more informative stuff. My point was that pprune wasn't (and to be honest, isn't), normally like that and I hoped that the thread might prompt a return to a more civilised debate. However as the election for my current position as the arbiter of good manners and pprune etiquette is currently under investigation by the electoral commission for fraudulent voting, maybe we can let this thread die a natural death and get back to discussing helicopter related matters:)

Bronx
4th Apr 2014, 23:25
Handy

I'm glad you raised the issue. We've always had civilised debates in this forum and it was beginning to get a bit like JH at times, although even at its worst it still ain't as bad as JH at its best.
I hope it makes us think.

One thing that has definitely got worse especially in the accident threads is the number of armchair experts who come out of the woodwork. Some of them have never flown anything in their lives except maybe MS Flightsim. Instead of reading and learning from people who've got years of experience doing the job they keep posting their 'opinions', sometimes over and over again.
One of the worst was a guy who it now turns out is a fixed-wing PPL who only started flying helicopters last year. He posted over 30 times on one of the accident threads! Folks were patient with him for a long time but they got fed up with his distractions eventually.
Its an open forum so I guess the Mod can't do much about it.

Hippo I also feel that RH has become a little too UK centric these days It goes in phases.
This has always been a very international forum with helicopter pilots from all over the world discussing topics that affect us all.

Bravo73
4th Apr 2014, 23:53
One of the worst was a guy who it now turns out is a fixed-wing PPL who only started flying helicopters last year. He posted over 30 times on one of the accident threads! Folks were patient with him for a long time but they got fed up with his distractions eventually.
Its an open forum so I guess the Mod can't do much about it.

Indeed. But isn't the 'ignore function' a wonderful thing. :ok: