PDA

View Full Version : Flight Schools with Accommodation? California, Oregon, Washington

Springbok_Rider
1st Apr 2014, 11:22
Hi,

I'm looking at doing my PPL in the States in August. However, I'm having trouble finding a suitable flying school. To keep costs down I'm looking for a flight school that offers accommodation or is within walking/cycling distance to the airport to keep the costs down. I have looked at renting a car/motorbike for the period but I'll be looking at an additional $1500+.

Can anyone recommend any schools with accommodation included (or at least at a discounted price)? Hoping to learn in Northern California, Oregon or Washington due to the surrounding nature, although open to any suggestions nationwide.

Rhino25782
1st Apr 2014, 13:06
If you're looking into an EASA license and you don't want to go to Florida, I believe your only option would be American Aviation Academy in San Diego. Granted, not Northern California, but pretty close. :ok:

As of last year, AAA provided accommodation for students in shared condos. These are within walking distance from the airfield/school if you don't mind a half hour walk. There's also a free shuttle service from the school available at certain times. Also, some students will have cars and may offer you a ride, likewise some instructors if they like you. :) Finally, you can rent bicycles.

Cheers

Springbok_Rider
1st Apr 2014, 14:05
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Also up for any other suggestions. I've bought the FAA material and think I prefer the idea of one exam over 7. Saying this, future training will be in the U.S. so would be easier just to keep it FAA and apply for a permit here in Europe.

Katamarino
1st Apr 2014, 17:07
Remember to give the TSA a bunch of money for them to declare you "safe to America". Even for people here under working visas, the government is happy to greedily suck in their tax money but unwilling to do things like let people take flight training without extra fees and security theatre :rolleyes: