PDA

View Full Version : No more FIKI for Cessnas.

AdamFrisch
31st Mar 2014, 22:30
Cessna is hell bent on driving people away or forcing them to upgrade between this new AD and the SID's. Problem is they don't make any twins, so what do they want people to upgrade to? Overnight they just reduced the value and utility of 4200 aircraft.

I'm glad I'm flying a twin where the owners fully support it and don't try to pull fast ones like this.

AD Enforces Old Cessna Twin Icing Service Bulletin - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/AD-Enforces-Old-Cessna-Twin-Icing-Service-Bulletin221525-1.html)

slam525i
1st Apr 2014, 01:13
You may find this interesting:
When Icing Certification Made Sense | Left Seat (http://macsblog.com/2014/03/when-icing-certification-made-sense/)

AdamFrisch
1st Apr 2014, 01:24
I agree with the article in the link, but there are regulatory problems to consider.

Flying when known icing is forecast is something thousands of pilots have to do everyday. Doesn't mean they'll encounter ice, but they don't have the choice of staying on the ground if they want to stay employed. Now, should anything happen in regards to ice, and they happen to be flying a Cessna that used to be certified for ice, guess who FAA/EASA will nail? The pilots. They will lose their licenses and their livelihood, not the employer.

piperboy84
1st Apr 2014, 04:40
Slight thread drift, Cessna Single in Icing, very lucky pilot !

6IrclNLxKt8

slam525i
1st Apr 2014, 04:45
That's scary... I'm guessing the icing was so bad that even the pitot heat got overwhelmed...

I know nothing and I have no experience but I would have thought the prudent thing would be to land the airplane, take a break, and give the airplane a good look-over to make sure everything's still where it should be...

piperboy84
1st Apr 2014, 04:56
I'm guessing the icing was so bad that even the pitot heat got overwhelmed

Or, it may not have been on.

slam525i
1st Apr 2014, 05:04
I think you're right. I think she had no idea she was icing up.

I guess it's possible. Autopilot maintaining altitude so the AOA creeping up went un-noticed. Surprised she didn't get any accumulation on the windshield.

It'd be a hell of a wake-up call. Fat, dumb, and happy, cruising along until it all suddenly goes to crap. Lucky that enough ice got shed before she hit the ground. Glad it wasn't me.

ChickenHouse
1st Apr 2014, 13:17
The start of the thread is not entirely correct. Now that Textron also bought Beechcraft, the new Textron Aviation unit does have Baron and King Air for twin upgrade from former Cessna singles.

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2014, 14:03
piperboy84,

You might want to have a look at this:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/534520-posting-youtube-videos.html

SD

Katamarino
1st Apr 2014, 16:17
I think you're right. I think she had no idea she was icing up.

Any time I'm in cloud, and it's anywhere near freezing, I'm looking out the window about every 30 seconds straining for any sign of ice on the wing or wheel. At night, I'll be shining my torch out. I'm astonished that others would not be doing the same; ice is bloody scary.

It did take my by surprise once, at 9,000ft over Nigeria of all places. Normal cumulus clouds, 30+ degrees on the ground; didn't even contemplate the possibility of ice!

foxmoth
1st Apr 2014, 16:50
Looking at the wings and the wheels is ok, but first look at things like the OAT probe or anything else that projects out into the airflow, that is where it will build up first.:eek:

tmmorris
1st Apr 2014, 17:33
foxmoth, indeed, I was told that's why the OAT probe on the PA28 is hexagonal (octagonal? Can't remember!), so ice builds up on the corners first.

TheiC
1st Apr 2014, 21:29
Cessna is hell bent on driving people away or forcing them to upgrade between this new AD and the SID's. Problem is they don't make any twins

Adam, I'm sure you know they do make some twins. I'm a big fan of the CJ2+ in particular, and the 3 and 4 are even better! I sometimes flew a basic CJ for a chap whose previous aircraft was a C421, so there is a progression, albeit not supported by new builds.

Time moves on. The stability criteria in force at the time the gorgeous DH Dove was certified have been superseded, and having experienced the OEI characteristics, I'm glad of that. That modern piston twins exhibit different, but equally unpalatable, behaviour, is a disappointment, but the modern aircraft's foibles seem less deadly to me than the older one's.

AdamFrisch
1st Apr 2014, 21:52
Well, the thrust lines on biz jets with engines at the back is pretty narrow, so less asymmetry. I'm not sure a Mustang or a CJ is an alternative for freight dogs looking to replace an old legacy twin, but maybe that's part of the plan - making them splash. As mentioned, now that Beechcraft has ben incorporated, perhaps that will generate some KA or Baron sales. although the Baron was never a popular freighter.