PDA

View Full Version : mil/exercise in Scotland just now P18

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 03:43
I see in todays NOTAMS that P18 has been closed and reverts back to class G.
How long will this particular exercise last and what else is planned ?
is there likely to be much in the way of GPS jamming going on?
Who do I have to call to get it unjammed if I am out for a play and get lost ?

Got a link for more details ?

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 06:04
couple of years ago during mil jamming the Scottish fishermen had a sense of humour failure and had the jamming stopped.
be interesting to see how you get away with that in England if you tried it (which is why it is happening in Scotland . . . )

DTY/LKS
31st Mar 2014, 06:39
It's on till 11th April. Various restrictions in place at different times & days.

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 06:57
Great, all through my time off.
will gps jamming be full spectrum or just US stuff ?

FantomZorbin
31st Mar 2014, 07:09
interesting to see how you get away with that in England if you tried it

It's happened several times in E.Anglia.

The Fat Controller
31st Mar 2014, 10:07
I seriously wonder just how many pilots would become "uncertain of my position" if GPS was suddenly turned off or jammed ;)

I would also like to see how many paper charts are sold per PPL holder these days as opposed to the pre-GPS era.

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 11:43
I always carry this years map.
I use it to wrap my sandwiches.
Who on earth wants to rely on steam navigation when there is redundancy in modern gps systems.
Its an interesting challenge to fly map and compass, but bar guys who are so old they probably need a safety pilot these days, I doubt anyone actually does it unless they are on a test of some sort.

Minesthechevy
31st Mar 2014, 11:48
Airwave 45, please tell me which GPS you rely on; were the guaranteed-for-life, never-ever-run-out batteries an option or did they come standard?

Which reminds me - I must replace the ones in my paper maps, I've never even found the battery compartment cover on them, let alone replaced them.:ok:

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 12:03
lx9000 x 2, iPad mini with phone as back up.
phone runs nav software and final glide software.
between them there are about 4 gps recievers, 6 separate batteries with more than 20 hours life between them.

I carry this years map with me and if I had to use it, can.
but, why would I?

reportyourlevel
31st Mar 2014, 14:20
but, why would I?

Erm, in case someone jams your GPS?

airwave45
31st Mar 2014, 20:24
easier to get them to stop playing than to get my sextant out...
99.999% of flights utilise gps this century.

If you really feel or think that current pilots use maps, stopwatches and compasses for day to day flights.
do us a favour.
retire.

The Fat Controller
1st Apr 2014, 00:57
No illusions about the use and need for GPS in the aviation world these days, however very cynical about the ability of many pilots, both private and professional, to revert to basic flying techniques when necessary.

reportyourlevel
1st Apr 2014, 14:23
If you really feel or think that current pilots use maps, stopwatches and compasses for day to day flights.
do us a favour.
retire.

At 30? OK then, if you'll take on my mortgage :-)

In all seriousness we know that everyone uses GPS as their first choice nav kit, why wouldn't you? I do think think it's a bit much to whinge that the mil are jamming Itami want them to stop it when you do have a backup map etc.

Bigears
2nd Apr 2014, 07:25
airwave45,

There is an AIC specifically about the jamming during this exercise and also other NOTAMS regarding the exercise on the NATS AIS website (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php.html)

landedoutagain
2nd Apr 2014, 15:06
I'm not sure how much use a map would be if flying in the vicinity of the majority of the closed but of P18 anyway...

I do actually use a map a lot of the time though, but I wish I had an lx9000 too. Please mr airwave45, send me one of yours?! ;)

Lon More
6th Apr 2014, 19:17
An extension of Frisian Flag 2014 (http://www.scannerforum.nl/index.php?topic=25343.0)?

The Fat Controller
7th Apr 2014, 05:26
The UK exercise is "Joint Warrior 141"

It is all in the relevant NOTAMs

List of NOTAMS for Your Area | NOTAM Info (http://www.notaminfo.com/node/5)

Lon More
7th Apr 2014, 08:55
Thanks, just wondered if they joined up.
Had to go to a spotters' site to find the full list of NOTAMS on FF. After years of geting reams of them dumped in my tray every day to actually have to look for them is frustrating

It's a potentially dangerous situation here; Google "Dutch Notams" and most of the info that comes up relates to VATSIM

10W
8th Apr 2014, 21:43
The UK AIS website is an easy way to get NOTAMs and Aeronautical Information Circulars for major exercises in UK airspace.

There is an AIC concerning the GPS Jamming, which shows the affected areas. It also advises that although GPS can be used for BRNAV or PRNAV operations, aircraft should also carry appropriate radio nav aids to allow them to navigate conventionally.