PDA

View Full Version : Guard Police.

Lone_Ranger
28th Mar 2014, 19:47
Has anyone flying in the UK, ever told an american who is whinging about them legitimately using 121.5 for a practice pan because they can't accept that things are different in other countries, to go f@ck themsleves? .. i mean actually on the radio at the time of the event. ..It must have happened shirley?

OhNoCB
28th Mar 2014, 20:16
I normally just reply "Affirm" to the "On guard!" lot

BigEndBob
28th Mar 2014, 20:43
Well if you get a comment...at least they are listening, which is a great comfort:)

Fly-by-Wife
28th Mar 2014, 22:14
to go f@ck themselves

I might consider doing so, Shirley, if I were listening on 121.5 and hadn't already announced my callsign! I may be rude, but I'm not stupid! ;)

FBW

Lone_Ranger
28th Mar 2014, 23:23
Quote: to go f@ck themselves I might consider doing so, Shirley, if I were listening on 121.5 and hadn't already announced my callsign! I may be rude, but I'm not stupid! FBW Fly-by-Wife is offline Reply

I suspect this is the only reason it isn't a regular occurrence, but I still suspect it must have happened.

Come on...don't be shy

magpienja
29th Mar 2014, 11:23
I have tried getting a practice fix on 121.5 in years gone by...but must admit I did feel uncomfortable talking on 121.5 in a non emergency situation,

It must be annoying for commercial pilots trying to concentrate having to listen in to my unimportant message seeing they have to monitor 121.5 constantly,

Shame a practice freq could not be set-aside for practice use...from a GA pilot....

thing
29th Mar 2014, 13:18
It must be annoying for commercial pilots trying to concentrate As in 'Shall I have the fillet beef or the salmon supreme for lunch?'

I've done a few practise pans on 121.5 and never had any problems, always been most helpful.

mad_jock
29th Mar 2014, 14:13
There is a lot on nonsense about this from commercials.

And its quite two faced as well.

You can get some that go into a spitting rage when they hear a practise pan but then don't bat an eyelid when someone try's to get hold of handling or starts talking about the latest sports scores.

Crack on and keep doing them.

FlyingStone
29th Mar 2014, 15:21
Why is this a UK-only thing? The rest of the world seems to be able to practice pans and mayday calls by doing everything but pressing the RT button...

S-Works
29th Mar 2014, 16:14
Because it's actively encouraged by our D&D guys so that they can also practice there skills.........

A and C
29th Mar 2014, 16:20
It is because we had a very good ATC system that integrated the civil and military air traffic units....... As the military shrinks to a fraction of its former size so will the need to protect its aircraft from you and I.

Also we had a good CAA ( I know some of you did not think so) but it is now being replaced by EASA an organization that is totaly unfit for perpose, even the people running it know this but because the dim witted half brained idiots that set the laws that goven EASA ( the EEC) did not know what they were doing have set stupid rules in place EASA has to work with them until they can get them changed....... You might just see EASA part M light within two years.

PURPLE PITOT
29th Mar 2014, 17:03
I was once listening out when a genuine GA mayday was in progress. Not unexpectedly, a cousin musketeer chipped in with "on guard". The D&D operator stopped just short of using the F word when ripping him a new a hole, including the intruders callsign.:ok:

When you hit the tit, they know who and where you are.

FantomZorbin
29th Mar 2014, 21:31
P-Pitot
As an ex-D&Der, I'm very pleased to read that.

Brian Abraham
30th Mar 2014, 02:11
You sure they're Americans complaining. :E There used to be a story that had some currency during the Vietnam years, about the USAF and their use of the frequency, as in, "Say again Joe, you were cut out by a mayday". :)