PDA

View Full Version : OSHKOSH 2014

worldpilot
26th Mar 2014, 15:20
I've OSHKOSH 2014 in focus this year and I'm looking for a copilot who is interested undetaking this adventure with me.

The plan is to fly to Boston, MA, and then an aircraft at KBED and fly to OSHKOSH and back.

Is anyone planning for OSHKOSH 2014 or is interested to Joint me for this trip?

WP

Mariner9
26th Mar 2014, 18:50
I'm going to Oshkosh with a mate, but we are flying in to Chicago.

If you don't find anyone to accompany you all the way from Boston, we'd happily accompany you provided you dropped into somewhere close to Chicago to pick us up en-route :ok:

Russell Gulch
26th Mar 2014, 21:01
Worldpilot, I did a similar routing a few years ago (from Hampton, NH, 40 miles from your Bedford MA).

If you would like some recommended stopovers / lunchbreak stops, let me know and I can elaborate.

What aircraft will you be flying? I've flown in to Oshkosh twice VFR, and it's as easy as chips (don't forget to download and read the NOTAM when it gets published, on or around 1st May. [the 2013 version is here (http://www.airventure.org/flying/2013_notam.pdf) if you would like to see the general idea].

Russ.

worldpilot
26th Mar 2014, 23:24
@Russel, Right. Any information you could provide is valuable and very much appreciated.

I'll be flying the Cirrus SR22. I'm an EAA member and have access to information provided via the EAA web site.

In terms of flying in the US, I've 8 years of experience flying there and I'm quite comfortable with the ATC and airspace challenges.

What recommendations can you provide for accommodation???

@@Mariner9, I'm looking for someone that is interested in flying with me from KBED. However, depending on circumstances enroute, it might be possible to ferry you guys to KOSH. We have to see how things development.

WP

S-Works
27th Mar 2014, 07:40
I could be interested.

turbulentmonkey
27th Mar 2014, 14:30
worldpilot, I'm currently living and working 10 minutes from KBED and would be interested.

I do IT project work and I'll either be here (at KBED) or at my base in Chicago depending on how things go at the office. I should know nearer the time.

TM

fernytickles
29th Mar 2014, 12:43
Might be worth posting on here?

Hitchin’ a Ride: Use EAA AirVenture RideShare For Traveling to Oshkosh (http://www.airventure.org/rideshare/)

Russell Gulch
29th Mar 2014, 18:49
@Russel, Right. Any information you could provide is valuable and very much appreciated.

The following airfields I can recommend for fuel/lunch stopovers:

Hornell, NY
Jamestown, NY (nice restaurant)
Seneca County Airport, Tiffin, OH
Porter County Airport, Valparasio, IN (local EAA chapter set up for Oshkosh-bound planes with cheap breakfast)
Koritz Field, Rochelle, IL
Turner's Falls, MA

Having said that, in a Cirrus, you should be able to do it direct (or thereabouts) in less than a day's flying each way. If you have an IR there is some credence in landing at Oshkosh in the IFR arrival procedure, and avoiding the hurry of the VFR brigade.

I was doing it low and slow and VFR, hence the many stops.

Have a good trip!

Russ.

worldpilot
31st Mar 2014, 16:47
@Russel, Thanks for the information. I really want to enjoy the scenery and visit interesting airfields enroute and hence would be flying VFR. I can actually do the entire trip in less than 5 hours with a single fuel stop. However, the essence is to visit the country side and map out the landscape.

For those interested in the ride, I will keep you posted as time goes on and my plans become mature for the adventure.

WP