PDA

View Full Version : UK slipping standards

ATIS
19th Mar 2014, 14:27
Yesterday due to French ATC strike, UK to Canaries Oceanic was a very busy sector.

From Day 1, position report formats were drilled into me in order to be standard.

Yesterday on Shanwick VHF we painfully listened to 2 flights from the same airline who just made it up as they went along. Resulting in the poor radio operator having to ask again for certain info. "Say again estimate" say again "flight level". I'm just guessing that the Shanwick guy is writing the info in boxes, or typing into a computer. A nice queue subsequently formed of people trying to transmit position reports.

Also another UK airline failed to monitor 121.5 or 123.45 during the crossing. Several of us had to speed up as he was gaining on us. (Possibly not maintaining his ASSIGNED speed). Cost us an extra 200kg in fuel burn.

Now for years on this site I've read about cowboy RT by the Americans, but seriously yesterday we were no better.

Now don't get me started on the TFS tower controller who couldn't handle 7mile arrival separation for departure traffic.

le Pingouin
19th Mar 2014, 18:45
121.5 as a chat frequency?! Really?!?

chevvron
19th Mar 2014, 18:53
Yes and they get REALLY annoyed if someone interrupts and mentions the word 'Mayday' whilst they're chatting.(usually colonials)

Station_Calling
19th Mar 2014, 23:04
I'm just guessing that the Shanwick guy is writing the info in boxes

Shanwick aren't ATC - they are radio operators so they have to copy all the messages, and send it to Oceanic in (I believe) Prestwick.

But I agree, yes - standards are slipping.

dtaylor1984
20th Mar 2014, 14:53
Um, the complaint was not about the standard of the radio operators...

Spruit
20th Mar 2014, 14:55
DontDoIt .......... Try reading the question again!

Lon More
25th Mar 2014, 12:24
Shanwick is the name of the area and is the callsign used, covers the operation at both Shannon and Prestwick

121.5 as a chat frequency
OP stated "monitor" not chat, Normally it'd all be on HF but puddlejumpers :O rarely carry it