PDA

View Full Version : First passenger

localflighteast
18th Mar 2014, 15:51
So although I’m still plugging away at my PPL, I couldn’t resist the urge to take my first passenger on a flight this weekend. My brother was visiting from the UK and it’s been a while since I’ve seen him, so I decided to plan a little expedition to show him what baby sis has been up to since he saw her last.
Just a little trip from Toronto to Muskoka (added bonus of this will be the first leg of my cross country flight, so good practice!)

Many firsts for me though, first time with three adults in the plane ( handles a bit differently), first time filing a flight plan, first time at a MF controlled airport, first time working out all my ETAS enroute and updating flight plan time where needed. First time dealing with a passenger.

It wasn’t ideal flying conditions, strong winds from the north meant a lot of mechanical turbulence being thrown up and the headwind meant my groundspeed was a crawling 75 knots on the way out but nearly 130 on the way back!

I don’t think I put him off though, even if we did end up orbiting on the downwind back at City because there was a disabled plane on the runway.
It’s been a cold winter here but seeing lake Simcoe frozen like that was very very pretty and a good reminder of why I’m doing this!

thing
18th Mar 2014, 16:58
:D Good on you.

Jan Olieslagers
18th Mar 2014, 17:38
If nothing more than mechanical turbulence threw up you were on the lucky side. Bravo, well done!

[[edit: scuzza, that should read "brava"]]

cockney steve
18th Mar 2014, 23:53
you can take pax and you have not yet qualified?

localflighteast
19th Mar 2014, 01:19
3 people in the plane.
me
my brother
an instructor

Andy_P
19th Mar 2014, 02:06
you can take pax and you have not yet qualified?

In AUS, once we have passed the GFPT (General Flying Progress Test) we can take passengers up in the training area, provided we have approval from our flight instructor.

cockney steve
19th Mar 2014, 12:02
Ahh! thanks, lfe- I was missing the presence of an instructor, it's the same in UK, AFAIK.
Instructor, Stude, + pax at instructor's discretion....ok, Legal.

@ Andy P....sounds like a bit of a curate's egg!
From the Stude's POV, great to be able to take up Friends and Family before fully qualifying.
From the instructor's viewpoint, a hell of a responsibility to allow a Stude to take them.....There's the old American saying, "Now, y'all, just watch this".....
sometimes difficult to assess when ego outstrips ability, I should imagine.

localflighteast
19th Mar 2014, 13:38
just before anyone else queries it , the instructor was in the front ;)