PDA

View Full Version : flying a holding pattern

kikwon
16th Mar 2014, 15:37
I know that there are many reasons why an aircraft must be put on hold

I know that controllers can't help but to put them in holding pattern due to situations that are out of their hands but is there anything that controllers might be able to do to reduce the time the aircraft spends holding?

I mean they could try as fast as possible to take care of whatever is going on on the ground. But I mean in situations like bad weather they are helpless right? What exactly can controllers do in their power to reduce holding time?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2014, 16:02
<<What exactly can controllers do in their power to reduce holding time?>>

Given the amount of traffic offering, not a lot.

Plazbot
16th Mar 2014, 16:34
This has got to be a wind up. Ask the same question in the main forum and substitute Controllers for Airlines/Airports.

Easily the stupidest thing I have read on here if it is a serious question.

Rule3
16th Mar 2014, 18:15
Plazbot......I'm with you.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2014, 18:20
Kikwon. A system employed at many airports is to land traffic in order of their wake turbulence categories rather than the usual first come, first served procedures. For example, if many aircraft are holding, 4 heavies followed by 4 medium aircraft is better than heavy-medium-heavy-medium, etc. At some places computers can assist the controllers in deciding the best landing order but even then controllers can sometime beat the computer.

Plazbot
16th Mar 2014, 19:29
Really? An obvious troll and HD gives an answer other than 'Google it' or 'in my 78 years at Heathrow I never heard such nonsense?' Is it the apocalypse?

supraspinatus
16th Mar 2014, 19:48
Is this the new ATC humour thread?!

On airports/TMA where we do not use holding as a primary delay tool early speedcontrol is a good way to avoid congestion.
Arrival managers helps ACC alot in pre-sequencing.

For weather (snow clearance etc) it's not much you can do. Or maybe google has something to offer. Maybe Teslas new(predicted) commercial jet will have facebook/google in their FMS.