PDA

View Full Version : Intercepting reversal approach procedure

noox89
15th Mar 2014, 09:22
Hi guys,

yesterday we had an interesting discussion on board when approaching NDR airport GMMW. There are no published STARs and ATC without Radar will always clear you to ARI VOR which starts overhead the airport and continues there after with reversal (base turn) procedure for ILS. The question is in which sectors are you allowed to enter straight in to the base turn? And from which sides you have to enter a hold to align with the outbound course? Jeppesen supplement says plus minus 30 deg for any reversal procedure but few pages sooner it says IAF can be intercepted for Precision approach plus minus 90 deg and NPA plus minus 120 deg. NDR airport doesn't state any IAF or IF fix, but usually on other airports IAF is where the app proceedure starts. Can anyone shed a bit of a light on this issue?:)

aterpster
15th Mar 2014, 14:47
noox89:

yesterday we had an interesting discussion on board when approaching NDR airport GMMW. There are no published STARs and ATC without Radar will always clear you to ARI VOR which starts overhead the airport and continues there after with reversal (base turn) procedure for ILS. The question is in which sectors are you allowed to enter straight in to the base turn? And from which sides you have to enter a hold to align with the outbound course? Jeppesen supplement says plus minus 30 deg for any reversal procedure but few pages sooner it says IAF can be intercepted for Precision approach plus minus 90 deg and NPA plus minus 120 deg. NDR airport doesn't state any IAF or IF fix, but usually on other airports IAF is where the app proceedure starts. Can anyone shed a bit of a light on this issue?

Never heard of the this "rule" Jeppesen states. Can you post that page?

In any case, the least cost of being wrong is to follow standard PANS-OPS procedures. If you arrive at ARI on a course of 239 to 299 you can go directly into the base leg. Otherwise you align in the hold shown on the chart before you go into the base leg. And, since MSAs are operational altitudes under PANS-OPS you use the appropriate MSA altitude within 25 miles of ARI (assuming no ATC altitude restriction).

aterpster
15th Mar 2014, 16:15
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/GMMW_zps22ff6aa9.jpg

noox89
15th Mar 2014, 22:00
Thank you aterpster,

The IAF deviation(+-90deg) is defined in ATC section of Jeppy supplement page 223, next page 224 talks about situation where no IAF is defined (+-30deg)

galaxy flyer
15th Mar 2014, 22:28
Being a disciple of aterpster, let me offer this explanation, subject to correction, of course.

The procedure, in a non-radar environment, clearly requires a course reversal, the outbound track starting at the VOR. I'm referring to Jepp ATC section, page 689, titled FLIGHT PROCEDURES (8168) ARRIVAL AND AAPPROACH PROCEDURES, paragraph, 3.2 TYPES OF MANOEUVERS, 3.2.2 Reversal Procedure.. "When no suitable IAF or IF is available....a reversal procedure, racetrack or holding pattern is required." That requires you to enter the base turn in the + or - 30 degree cone.

I was specific as to the Jepp pages due to different company manuals might differ and I'm using the standard world subscription.

AirborneAgain
16th Mar 2014, 07:07
few pages sooner it says IAF can be intercepted for Precision approach plus minus 90 deg and NPA plus minus 120 deg.Is Jeppesen really talking about the IAF and not the Initial Approach Segment of the approach (the part between the IAF and the IF).

PANS-OPS (volume I, part 4 section 3.1.2) says:

Normally track guidance is provided along the initial approach segment to the IF, with a maximum angle of interception of:
a) 90° for a precision approach; and
b) 120° for a non-precision approach.

So the rule relates to the track after the IAF and is a restriction on how the procedure is constructed – not on the way it is flown. If the procedure has a particular track from the IAF to a point where the final approach course is intercepted, the intercept angle must not exceed 90/120°.

hvogt
16th Mar 2014, 10:01
PANS-OPS (volume I, part 4 section 3.1.2) saysThanks for the reference, AirborneAgain. I'm sure you meant PANS-OPS, Volume I, Part I, Section 4, Chapter 3, 3.1.2.

AirborneAgain
16th Mar 2014, 10:22
Indeed I did, thanks. I am always confused by the way PANS-OPS is subdivided... :}

hvogt
16th Mar 2014, 10:25
Yes, me too.

noox89
16th Mar 2014, 11:23
Thank you guys,

AirborneAgain you are right, it is for the segment not specifically for IAF. This makes more sense:)