PDA

View Full Version : Bad connection on radio, HF, or when Air Route Control

kikwon
14th Mar 2014, 03:52
When communicating with pilots using the radio, static or noise can makeit hard to hear what the pilots are saying. What would you do in a situationwhere the static is so severe you cannot hear the pilot very well?

Captain Charisma
14th Mar 2014, 05:02
Perhaps I'm being too wary here, but this doesn't sound like an innocent question. A journo looking for another angle to write about the MH flight perhaps? Especially so when read in conjunction with his other post.

confused atco
14th Mar 2014, 09:52
Perhaps I'm being too wary here, but this doesn't sound like an innocent question. A journo looking for another angle to write about the MH flight perhaps? Especially so when read in conjunction with his other post.

Other post. (http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/535956-what-would-indirect-fatal-crash-would-mean-controller.html#post8373791)

I think you are correct.

Proceed with caution.

kikwon
14th Mar 2014, 14:39
it won't hurt to show some generosity to an air traffic controller wanna-be, a korean student whose first language isn't English. Let's try to think of this situation the other way around. I would love to give you some insight. Try to share your previleage with others. Especially when they have the same aspiration for aviation knowledge.

Plazbot
16th Mar 2014, 16:38
Hey, are you one of those Hot Korean Girl Group members?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Mar 2014, 17:31
Kikwon. VHF is the most commonly used frequency band and static is fairly rare there unless there is intensive storm activity. HF, which is used in areas where VHF is not available due to distance. e.g. over oceans, is more prone to interference. If it was really so bad that no contact could be made I suspect that radio failure procedures would be employed.

kcockayne
17th Mar 2014, 09:07
With HF, it's usually radio operators & not ATCOS who communicate with the pilots.
Nothing much that they can do if the r/t is unreadable.

kcockayne
17th Mar 2014, 09:08
Having said that; CPDLC might be an option.