PDA

View Full Version : what would an indirect fatal crash would mean for a controller?

kikwon
14th Mar 2014, 03:12
If you were controlling an airplane that wasinvolved in a fatal crash, but you were not directly responsible, do you thinkyou would be able to continue working as an air traffic controller? Why or whynot?

what is the written statement(law, regulation) involving such matter?

what does ICAO say about this? what does FAA say about this?

N90-EWR
14th Mar 2014, 04:17
If it was not the controller's fault, there is no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to continue to work. I work alongside several controllers that were involved in crashes, and they continued working until retirement. The EWR departure controller that worked one of the 9/11 hijacked aircraft still here.

Captain Charisma
14th Mar 2014, 05:03
Perhaps I'm being too wary here, but this doesn't sound like an innocent question. A journo looking for another angle to write about the MH flight perhaps? Especially so when read in conjunction with his other post.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2014, 08:13
<<If you were controlling an airplane that was involved in a fatal crash, but you were not directly responsible, do you think you would be able to continue working as an air traffic controller? Why or why not?>>

In some cases it can be a relatively straightforward process to determine if a controller was responsible from R/T and radar tapes, etc. If he was not responsible then he returns to duty.

good egg
14th Mar 2014, 09:01
Would recommend a bit of CISM first...

confused atco
14th Mar 2014, 09:50
Perhaps I'm being too wary here, but this doesn't sound like an innocent question. A journo looking for another angle to write about the MH flight perhaps? Especially so when read in conjunction with his other post.

Other post
(http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/535957-bad-connection-radio-hf-when-air-route-control.html#post8373844)

I think you are correct.

Proceed with caution.

Plazbot
16th Mar 2014, 16:37
Bump. Someone trolling or with other motives. All four posts are similarly controversial.

llondel
16th Mar 2014, 17:33
I think I'd quote the example of UA232. The Sioux City controller was not in any way responsible for what happened, so why would he be forced out?

As HD said, it's clearly going to be on a case by case basis. Go and read up on aircraft accidents and you'll get a better idea. There's lots of information out there.

N90-EWR
16th Mar 2014, 18:57
The Sioux city controller did a fantastic job! He later transferred to N90, and I had the pleasure of working with him for over a decade before he retired. One of the best controllers I've ever met.