PDA

View Full Version : SEP Engine Shutdown

athonite
12th Mar 2014, 18:40
My recollection from the 1980s was that in the UK during training and the GFT, students were required to shutdown the engine and restart engine without the use of the starter motor, as this gave SLMG rights on initial issue of the UK PPL, have I got that right?

Also, engine shutdowns on singles (C152, PA 38/28), does that cause thermal stress (potential cracks)?

Whopity
12th Mar 2014, 18:52
In order to activate the SLMG Class rating which was an integral part of the UK PPL in the 1980s, you had to obtain a Certificate of Test by passing a GFT in a SLMG with an examiner. The SLMG GFT did include stopping and restarting the engine. There was nothing you could do in a Group A aeroplane that would have activated the SLMG privileges.

Deliberately shutting down an engine in a SEP aeroplane could be consdidered endangerment!

much2much
12th Mar 2014, 19:31
so i guess the fact they have removed my slmg, is no loss then,do i need a tail wheel signature ,i have loads of time from way back,but have just added ssea, as i am on a self cert.

Whopity
12th Mar 2014, 19:51
If you can show tailwheel experience before it became a difference, then you have grandfather rights on a single.