PDA

View Full Version : How would you recommend getting into air traffic control

Matteymoo2
7th Mar 2014, 17:40
Hello there I am getting to the end of my current college course in aviation operations which I have been on for nearly two years now and I am looking to go into employment, I do currently have a job working as a chef next to my college which is based at Leeds Bradford Airport.

My question is what are the main ways to get into air traffic control, After speaking to a few controllers myself most have recommended I try NATS or Eurocontrol and after having applied from Eurocontrol recently for there student program next year and I have also applied for a position as an ATSOA at Stornoway airport. I am basically looking to get a job at a small airport to start with or go into someone like NATS where I can start training and hopefully get a job as an Air Traffic controller some day in the future but from what I can find Getting into NATS is extremely hard and I cannot find many airports that will hire someone who has no formal ATC ratings or and experience.

I have also being recommended going into being a FISO or A/G operator to get the experience required but these seem ever harder to find than going in as a controller directly, I am not aware of any airports that run some form of sponsorship program or a company that does them either

So if anyone can give any sort of help or advice in getting into air traffic control then it would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling to find an airport that is willing to hire un-trained people.

eastern wiseguy
7th Mar 2014, 20:58
Matteymoo

Go here

Vacancies | NATS (http://www.nats.aero/careers/vacancies/)

In my opinion this is the route to take. It is NOT easy. Many people apply and a large proportion of them will never make it. That being said you have everything to gain and NOTHING to lose. Go for it and the best of luck.

Glamdring
7th Mar 2014, 22:30
Your first port of call should definitely be NATS. Yes, it's hard to get into but not impossible (I managed it :E )

SpankyRooster
8th Mar 2014, 03:31
There's always the military...

The Many Tentacles
8th Mar 2014, 06:15
It's hard to get into for a reason.

My advice is the same as the rest, try sitting the NATS tests and go from there. If you get accepted, then give it a shot and off you go. If you don't then look at other methods, Eurocontrol, the military or self funding. The last of these is not cheap though and no employment guaranteed at the end of it

Angels-One-Five
8th Mar 2014, 18:52
Getting a job as an ATCO us extremly hard. Period.

If you want an easy route to a career, go find something else.

Of all the ways to get a job as an ATCO, NATS offer what is probably the easiest route.

You are paid to get your rating
You are paid to validate
You are guaranteed a job if you achieve the required standard

No other route is this straight forward but every route require a similar standard.

As the others have said, best route is NATS. If you are unsuccessful there (and they give you three bites at the cherry), then there are other options depending on how far you get. If you get a rating but fail to validate (as many do) then at least you've got that for free.

Matteymoo2
8th Mar 2014, 20:05
I know I'm not gonna take an easy route into the career and I am likely to end up paying for my own ratings in the end thanks for the responses and as soon as I hit 18 I am going to apply for NATS

edinv
9th Mar 2014, 21:47
I have also applied for a position as an ATSOA at Stornoway airport.

If offered an interview with HIAL,take it! See what they have to say, remember it's your interview as well. Ask about career prospects in H&I. An ATSOA at a HIAL location would require you to become a FISO for Air Ambulance flights outside published ATC hours. There is also a requirement to hold a MET Obs certificate.

A small number of HIAL ATSAs / ATSOAs have in fact been offered ATCO training and have passed out successfully. That said the numbers are small, as the ATSUs are small.

Chilli Monster
11th Mar 2014, 21:45
Just be aware that at Stornoway you start with an instant disadvantage if you don't have an accent from North of the Border. Hebridean culture can be strange for a "white settler".

Lon More
25th Mar 2014, 12:26
knock on the door? Ring on the bell?

Sorry, one of those days

If you're English and go North, you might be forced to leave the country after September if all goes well

NDW
26th Mar 2014, 22:08
You could always try applying for the role of ATCA. They occasionally pop up here, there and everywhere.

I've been one for the last year and loving every minute. Certainly a good stepping stone if you're looking at pursuing a career into the controlling seat

ILS 119.5
10th Apr 2014, 11:26
It's supposed to be hard, it's not easy to get through the course, probably one of the hardest mental courses for any career and with NATS if you fail your out with nothing, so the pressure is on to pass, that's why they want the best from the start. I've heard LBA are short of assistants so why not try there or if no joy just get a job at the airport and get your face known and just wait I'm sure something will crop up and LBA prefer to train their own assistants to be controllers albeit the salary is a lot lower than NATS. Good luck.

underfire
10th Apr 2014, 19:55
Watch "Pushing Tin".... :}

RAC/OPS
12th Apr 2014, 02:04
Get a degree in child psychology and maybe have experience working at a kindergarten.

You may be better equipped to deal with pilots that way.

RAC/OPS
13th Apr 2014, 22:56
...and how do your your colleagues get trained to deal with you

Was wondering about the words twice, then saw what your name is!