PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating during PPL Training

tobster911
3rd Mar 2014, 14:55
Hello,

Is it possible to do my night rating (5 hours) during my initial 45 hours of standard PPL instruction (assuming i complete in minimum hours).

I.E:

I do 25 hours of instructor led flying
Then 15 hours of Solo flying
= 40 hours

for the remaining 5, can I do my night rating so I leave after 45 hours with a PPL and night rating?

Thank you

-T

taff_lightning
3rd Mar 2014, 15:07
A night rating can be included in the ppl as long as you satisfy all of the other course requirements. In my experience it's quite unusual to get it all done within the minimum hour though.

tobster911
3rd Mar 2014, 15:17
Excellent, thank you.
Yep, I don't expect to be able to get it all done in 45 hours, but because of the cost I'd like to get it done in as little time as possible.

Without being cocky at all, I feel that there isn't going to be much of a problem for me, and I should be able to get it done very close to the minimum time as I pick things up quickly and have been gliding for 5 years.

Thank you

-T

Whopity
3rd Mar 2014, 15:28
Presumably you will be using gliding credits towards the PPL so that could leave you with little to play with! Also, you can normally only night fly from October to March.

tobster911
3rd Mar 2014, 15:43
How much of my gliding time can I use?

Yea, night flying at the moment will be a bit of an issue, but, because of money, I don't expect to finish my PPL before December anyway. I'm looking at about an hour a week, or maybe 2 every fortnight (weather dependant)

Also, when I have completed my PPL, will I need any special ratings to fly the tug aircraft at the gliding club? It will be not for profit and it's a tricycle undercarriage, so no need for a tail dragger rating.

Thank you

-T

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2014, 15:54
most schools won't let you do it because they will want another 5 hours out of you.

Prop swinger
3rd Mar 2014, 16:10
FCL.210(A)(d) Crediting. Applicants holding a pilot licence for another category of aircraft, with the exception of balloons, shall be credited with 10% of their total flight time as PIC on such aircraft up to a maximum of 10 hours. The amount of credit given shall in any case not include the requirements in (a)(2).You will need an EASA sailplane licence to benefit.

To tow gliders you will need to do tow rating course & have 60 hours PIC + 60 take offs & landings in aeroplanes (FCL.805).

dst87
3rd Mar 2014, 16:11
Presumably you will be using gliding credits towards the PPL so that could leave you with little to play with! Also, you can normally only night fly from October to March.

Slightly off-topic, but why can you only night fly from October to March?

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2014, 16:12
Because most airports that have training from them aren't 24h.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Mar 2014, 16:41
Tobster

Why the big hurry to get a night rating ?

Also having taught 2 PPL's for students who were low hour glider pilots, I was surprised at the fact that having the glider license didn't provide as much benefit as I was expecting. Yes they completed the course a bit faster than average but it was not a dramatic difference.

Most students can't get to an acceptable standard in the minimum time particularly if they are only flying once a week.

I would recommend you concentrate on learning the PPL before trying to rush into more advance training.

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2014, 16:47
more than likely because it can screw up his plans with going commercial if the times don't work out.

It can be a right pain in the UK getting a night rating not only do you have to get a field that is open but also an instructor that is willing to do it and qualified. A lot of instructors now aren't bothering getting the restriction removed because you will never recover the cost of getting it removed as a ppl instructor and it also means you get shafted and have to come back into work in the evening after being in the school all day.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Mar 2014, 16:51
and it also means you get shafted and have to come back into work in the evening after being in the school all day.

I can relate to that. About a month into my first instructing job the Chief Flying Instructor came up to me and said "Congratulations you can start on your first night rating tomorrow !" ........The date was June 20 :{

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2014, 17:05
I wish I had never got the restriction removed.

I was lucky because I got it free while doing my FIC in winter and for some reason the CAA didn't charge me for it to remove it .

It was an utter pain in the backside to have, after the first two ratings I would have quite happily got it removed if they had discovered not charging me for it and demanded payment.