PDA

View Full Version : MEPR & IR

TizerTheAppetizer
3rd Mar 2014, 11:22
You can obviously get a PPL with a class 2 medical, but I'm confused about whether you need a Class 1 to go on and get a MEPR or IR?

Any ideas please ... ?

Thank you.

arelix
3rd Mar 2014, 12:44
Class 1 not required for private use according to:

GA Magazine Feb 2014 (http://www.aopa.co.uk/images/epub/ga_feb14/#/12)

riverrock83
3rd Mar 2014, 18:19
You certainly used to need an audiogram in addition to a Class 2 medical to do an IR. Haven't heard if EASA has changed that.
Haven't heard of anything special for a MEP rating - but I also haven't looked it up.

Cusco
3rd Mar 2014, 21:32
Class 2 medical for ME or IR

Class 1 Audiogram for IR (all audiograms are class 1 : no such thing as a class2 audiogram)

TizerTheAppetizer
4th Mar 2014, 07:31
Thank you for the replies.

I'm confused becasue CAA website isn't clear (I've sent them an email) and a British FTO I made enquiries with said I needed a class 1 for MEPR and IR.

I'll post the CAA reply (when they eventually get back to me).

clunk1001
4th Mar 2014, 08:41
CAP804
3.2 Dependency on Medical Certificates
(g) If an instrument rating is added to a PPL, the licence holder shall undertake pure tone audiometry examinations in accordance with the periodicity and the standard required for class 1 medical certificate holders.

FTOs who advise otherwise should really do their homework...

TizerTheAppetizer
4th Mar 2014, 13:18
Thank you clunk1001.

I exchanged emails with the FTO again this morning (Tue) and again they said this in their reply.

"For the MEP and IR training you will need to have a class one medical issued by the CAA"

I wish the CAA would get back to me!!!

I want to start planning my MEP and IR training.

Mariner9
4th Mar 2014, 14:41
I have an IR (albeit, SE IR) with a Class II medical + audiogram.

However, the FTO might have their own rule if they wish to ensure that all their candidates have the chance to progress to the commercial world. An FTO may well do this if they wish (for example) to advertise high success rates for their students gaining flying jobs. A successful student who subsequently failed their Class I medical would ruin their statistics, so hence their Class I pre-requirement.

Irrelevant what the CAA say if that's the case.

You would then have 2 options.

Take the Class I, and go to your chosen FTO; or
Choose another FTO that will allow you to do the training with a Class II

TizerTheAppetizer
4th Mar 2014, 19:10
Thank you Mariner 9.

Great news. I was worried. I will post CAA's reply here.

TizerTheAppetizer
9th Mar 2014, 21:25
Update : No reply still from the CAA ... but, the FTO in question has said yes to an MEP and IR with a Class 2 medical.

Though I believe that is an exception, rather than the rule for them.

Thank you for the replies that made me question the FTO.

TizerTheAppetizer
16th Mar 2014, 10:46
Reply from the CAA, but no mention of audio tests.

Yes I can confirm that you are able to apply for an MEP and IR on the basis of a PPL with Class 2 medical.

Yours sincerely
Natalie Goodman
Personnel Licensing