PDA

View Full Version : Which Flying school in Florida?

rossco18_uk
16th May 2002, 18:54
Hi there,
I am thinking of doing PPL now over summer. I am considering everything as an option and was wondering whether anyone could advise me of some of the best schools in Florida? Everytime someone posts a topic on this, it always ends up a heated debate on which school is best. Therefore if you could all post reply's for me so i can get an idea of what to go for then that would be great. I have been looking at Orlando Flight Training. Is this any good? There is also Britannia Flight Centre?

Regards,

Ross :p

Just another student
16th May 2002, 21:33
Can I suggest Naples Air center to you. I completed my P.P.L. and Night rating there in Jan/Feb.Excellent tuition, nice people and overall a great experience in my oppinion.

notice
16th May 2002, 22:59
Just another set-up?

Wrong Stuff
17th May 2002, 06:54
Many schools I'd agree, but if you look at all the threads on Naples in Wannabes it's obvious they're either exceedingly devious and have numerous user logins or they really are very good.

Been there twice. They're very good.

rossco18_uk
17th May 2002, 11:11
Ok,
So you are recommending Naples. If I get a JAA PPL out there, does this allow me to fly here in the UK? One other question, is that do the airlines look differently on someone, if they training in the USA?

Regards,

Ross

GonvilleBromhead
17th May 2002, 11:34
Rossco

Your JAA PPL is valid in any JAA state, so yes for the UK.
As to the airlines preference, not at PPL level, they wouldn't particularly care where you did it.

regards,

Gb.

stiknruda
17th May 2002, 11:55
IMHO many of these large flight schools act as training mills and process a huge amount volume of people.

I genuinely think that you would be better in the long term to go to a far smaller school and learn on one aeroplane (not one type) with one instructor.

Because he/she will be flying constantly with you, he/she will be able to assess your progress on a hourly basis without the need for refreshers and "the trg log says you did steep turns in yr last flt, so show me a steep turn - then we'll move onto...". I am certain that you'll progress more rapidly and as the instructors are career instructors and not hour building wannabee airline pilots - your grass roots, stick and rudder skills will be well honed.

If this appeals then drop me a mail and I'll recommend somewhere that might be right up your Boulevard - they train on Cessna 150s and Katanas and are well away from any of those other Fl distractions.

The cost is favourably comparable with NAC or OBA and you will not feel like you are on a conveyor belt.

I did my ab-initio trg in this manner in a different continent then my multi-engine rating and instrument work using the conveyor belt and I know which suits me better!

I am not retained or awarded by the place I have in mind - I just recommend them to folk who want to avoid the sausage machine and to date everyone has been happy.

Good luck

Stik

Just another student
17th May 2002, 14:06
NAC was recommended to me by my training provider in the U.K. and I was impressed with the service they provided. They are geared up to take J.A.A. students aswell as F.A.A. so it is an extremely cosmapolitan atmosphere there. In the apartment I stopped in I shared with a guy from Surinam and a lad from Madagasca! I would find it very hard to pick a fault in the training I was provided with. I obviosuly can't compare them to another flying school, as all my training so far has taken place in Naples. IMHO they are well worth a call.

captmav
17th May 2002, 14:23
I have been looking into NAC myself and it looks like after much worrying I'm just going to go for it..!! I've read god knows how much on endless schools but as suggested either NAC has endless logins or they really are very well thought of. Give them a call and ask for Justin, the guy was absolutely on the ball with the million obscure questions i asked him !

Just another student
17th May 2002, 14:34
Captmav, just go for it! Naples is an amazing place to fly, I loved flying over the everglades etc :eek:

approachto19
17th May 2002, 15:48
Just curious stiknrude, which school are you suggesting? Surely you can post it here, other people are making suggestions...

I just hope you arent suggesting that school in FL which has an attrocious reputation and got absolutely slammed in wannabes a couple of weeks back

look forward to seeing your post.

stiknruda
17th May 2002, 21:15
Approach to 19

Have no idea which school was flamed in Wannabees as because I don't qualify as one I never read the forum:p

I would heartily recommend Keoki Gray at San Fernandino, up nr the Georgia border for ab-initio. He is a very gentle chap with a very nice manner and a very highly thought of display and advanced aerobatic instructor who is just as happy showing newbies how to fly.

Nice school, nice aeroplanes.

Whilst I was there earlier this year doing advanced spinning and getting coached on some maneouvers that were defeating me, he was working up a teenager to solo in the Katana. Young lad was doing ever so well and I was just very impressed with the way that Keoki brought him on.

I guess what I am reinforcing is that it is not aways and only the best instruction/school that promulgates itself in the back of the UK's flying comics.

Oh and if you want a higher recomendation than mine, Patty Wagstaff e-mailed me and suggested I go see Keoki! And if you don't know who she is then I suggest that you stick to Wannabees;)

Stik

Cusco
17th May 2002, 21:16
Just another:

Must have just missed you : I was at NAC end Feb early Mar doing FAA/IR (passed).

Very friendly outfit, clean a/c, resident on site snag fixers.

Predominantly Cessnas(152/172) tho' they had a few Warriors and an Arrow.(and a twin ?seneca)

Contract Ab initio to CPL/instructor with a Dutch outfit so all sorts there.

Proprieters (Nikki's a Brit) are v friendly.

Watch the Visa thingy however: best advice is to get a student visa or risk being turned back.

Loads of nice places to visit (Everglades City etc.)

Lovely views (not that I saw much I was either under the hood or in real IMC for 90% of my flying time.

I'd certainly recommend 'em

Cusco.

;)

rossco18_uk
17th May 2002, 22:17
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all the replies. It seems Naples has a very good reputation. Do they provide transportation from the airport and so on? There doesn't appear to be a lot included in the $4000 for the PPL package.
Anything else I should know?

Also, does anyone know if Britannia Flight Centre are any good?

Ross

Keef
17th May 2002, 22:34
Repeating what most folks have said. I did the "research" last year, and had adverse comments about all the large schools in Florida, with two exceptions.

One (FSI) wanted vast amounts of $ to train me to IR, required me to wear a uniform, and wouldn't discuss my "needs" before I got there. Their reputation is outstanding, their training is apparently second to none, but I didn't want to lash out close on $20k to start over again on the IR.

NAC offered to check me out, and then advise me, but expected that if all went well I might even get change out of $2k. I went to NAC, and all was as they said. I now have an FAA PPL/IR and am a very happy bunny.

I had the same instructor the whole time, and he was excellent. Others there likewise had the same inst all the time, and were likewise very happy. The place is extremely well run.

While not everything was perfect, there was nothing I could complain about. Aircraft do develop snags, and that usually delays a session. But NAC have their own maintenance people and the aircraft was soon back on line.

I can't comment on Stiknruda's recommendation, as I don't know the place he mentions. However, I would trust his judgment a long way, so that place certainly should be on the "consideration" list.

Pub User
17th May 2002, 22:39
I went to Britannia once for some hour building, and its a nice little set-up. Accomodation is good, and convenient, the PPL students all seemed very content with the instruction. The aircraft were a bit shabby however, so if you like shiny things, then look elsewhere.

Just another student
17th May 2002, 22:58
Just speak to Nikki Gentil at admin via the NAC website about travel.They can pick you up from MIA, RSW etc basically anywhere thats not too far. They can include the cost of the trip as one of your lessons if you wish.If I were you I would think about flying into Fort Myers(RSW) which is around 30mins max in a C172 north of Naples. Flights are a little more expensive into RSW as you can't fly direct but it is closer than MIA.

If you need any more info just ask

P.S. Cusco I left on the 23rd feb were you there then?

Cusco
18th May 2002, 23:46
Just another.

Nope Just missed you: Keef and I flew in on 23rd Feb but didn't start training till Monday 25th.

Loved every minute of it and although admittedly we weren't there for PPL training I felt that Nikki and Richard had PPL training sussed: JAA or FAA they had the trainers to fit and though I was light years older than most of the students and therefore required hotel accomodation, speaking to PPL students there , they were very happy with their accomodation.

Also NAC were very happy to fly over to Opaloka just north of Miami to pick up students, or fly to Fort Myers 20 mins northof Naples.

If you need details pick up the phone and ring Nikki.

Cusco

rossco18_uk
19th May 2002, 14:06
I emailed Naples as they seem to be the one most people here are talking about.

They emailed me back today confirming to me that no conversion needs to be made back in the UK. Accomodation looks ok - I am student anyway, so I am used to student accomodation :D Are they able to pick you up from say Miami airport do you think? They are going to send me out a CD-ROM. Is it any good?

Regards,

Ross

P.S. Thank you for all the help and information you guys have given me. I think Naples seems to be at the top of my list at the moment.

GoneWest
19th May 2002, 14:58
Rossco..

Whilst no conversion should be needed when you return to the UK - you must plan on flying a few hours with an instructor at your local airfield anyway.

The licence needs no conversion but...YOU DO!!

You have read it many times before - procedures are different in the USA than they are in UK, the rules of the air are different, aircraft performance is different...etc. etc.

Also, between Naples Air Traffic Control and your flying instructor you will be taught how to find "the Courthouse", "Gordon's Pass" and "the toll booths"......and how to get from any one of them to the airfield. None of this will mean anything to you when you get back to the UK.

How long are you going out there for?? If you want a really good kick start to your training do as many written (and R/T practical??) exams as possible before leaving UK soil - also highly recommend getting JAA medical (class 1 if you intend to go professional, class 2 if staying as a private pilot) BEFORE going out to the USA. Indeed, with a bit of homework, you should be able to find a medical examiner in the UK that can issue you with BOTH the JAA medical (required for your licence application) and an FAA medical (required before you can fly "solo" in U.S. airspace - part of your course). If you do find an FAA medic, ensure he/she also gives you a student pilot certificate with that medical.

Last recommendation - get a visa before going. Another Florida school had a student turned back at Orlando recently....after somebody reported to the Immigration officials that [the student] was reading a flight training book (Trevor Thom) on the flight.

Above all else...have a marvellous time.

paulo
19th May 2002, 16:08
Hey Stik, you keep your IR current in the Pitts then? :eek:

rossco18_uk
19th May 2002, 18:29
I understand that procedures are different out there as they are to here and I understand that I will need some flying here to get used to the airspace here.
I am going out there for a month probably, as this apparently is the time I need. When you say do as many practical and written exams before you leave. Do you mean I can sit these exams before actually going to the USA? If I can then yes this would be an added benefit to me, as it would save a lot of time for when I am actually out there. I already have a CAA Class 1 medical because i do want to go professional. I got this last October, so it is not a worry. One question I do have though - is there a difference between a JAA Class 1 and a CAA Class1. If not then is the Class 1 an ok Medical to have before i go out there? Should I get the FAA medical before I go, or can I get it out there? I understand that I need a visa. I know that already. I think someone once mentioned an M1 Visa, although I will look into that in more detail before I go.

Thanks for the info though.

Ross

Just another student
19th May 2002, 18:29
18uk, accomodation is pretty good if you intend stopping in the apartments.Excellent value as you get a full kitchen and washing machine/tumble dryer! Food is no problem 5min walk max from the accom is Publix superstore.
Gonewest is bang on about the reporting points, you will soon get to know them like the back of your hand!Also get a visa to be sure, its an M1 I think.
Just watch out for the alligators!:rolleyes: They are everywhere but in the 5 weeks I was there I never saw one:confused:

Just another student
19th May 2002, 18:30
Get a CAA Class1, it saves you money long term.You can get a FAA out there.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
19th May 2002, 19:07
Definitely get a Class I if you are planning for a CPL route later on. There are a great many Doctors that do both the FAA and JAA which will save you money as you do need a FAA Class III student medical to fly solo legally in the US of A.

As for writtens, doesn't matter where you go they will all recommend that you do as many as you can before you get there. If you can't get to take any then defintely prep up on the books. Everyone says that is what bogs them down - the flying is the easy bit! Then you may actually have some spare time to go to the beach!!!!:D

Cusco
19th May 2002, 19:08
FAA medical is not a problem as there is a doctor's office at Naples Airport all of 30 yards from Naples Air Center's front door. USD75.00 or thereabouts.

I would agree also with the concept of getting as many of the writtens done here before you go.

You can do them out there but as one PPL student who was out there same time as me discovered, it eats into your flying time and when you should be concentrating on the practical aspects of flying, you have to cram your head with all the theoretical stuff.

I assume you're going to do the JAA PPL but also consider getting the unrestricted FAAPPL on the back of it>

Takes the hassle out of going back after your PPL and doing shed loads of hour building.

You will as someone else said need to convert yourself when you get back: US flying is very relaxed but having said that their R/T is pretty snappy and you will find yourself sharing the circuit with Biz jets and allsorts.(I followed a B17 and a Hudson in in February.)

One last point: The weather: Weather from june onwards can be b***dy hot and humid with thunderstorms at 3pm every afternoon and if you leave it too late in the year you may even get a hurricane.

Whatver you do get out there and enjoy it: NaplesAC is certainly an excellent place.

:cool:
Cusco

Just another student
19th May 2002, 19:29
Could not agree more about the weather. From here on in the weather can get a bit nasty, thunderstorms arrive like clock work in the afternoon and evening and the onset of hurricanes in July time is something to think about. Get out there a.s.a.p or leave it till later on in the year if you can? just remember that bad weather means losing money when you are out there!
It is an amazing place to fly, and it is great experience flying in traffic patterns with so many little jets whizzing around:D

knobbygb
19th May 2002, 20:06
So will the weather in Florida be OK by October then? I plan to go over there to 'finish off' if I don't manage to get the whole thing done over here before the weather turns too crappy.

For what it's worth, (never been before) I've already decided that NAC is the place for me when I do go. They're not the cheapest (actually only about £7 per hour less than I'm paying here) but I'm more interested in quality and continuity of training ('cos of the weather) than saving money.

All the details on their website advertise prices for full courses - are they quite happy to tailor somthing to finish people off? Don't want to waste their time enquiring direct too much yet as October is a long way off. Anyone who's been (and there seem quite a few) know? I was thinking of 10 or 15 hours over 2 weeks - this sound reasonable? Whould leave enough beach-time so that I actally feel I've had a holiday as well :cool:

The benefit of this is that I wouldn't have to do too much familiarisation over here when I get back.

Would I still need a visa for 15 hours in 2 weeks? (Is Richard reading this? - he seems to have the rules sussed.)

Thanks for all your help and hope you enjoy your training as much as I know I will.

GoneWest
19th May 2002, 20:34
Rosco... what I meant to say - although this is now academic (after reading that you have a CAA medical already), is that if you did the two medicals at the same time, with the same person, you might not have to pay twice. Too late!!

The other aspect of getting the FAA medical before departure was that in the EXTREMELY unlikely event of not getting one (for some medical reason that you may not be aware of), it would be better to find out before giving Richard Branson a few hundred quid for airline tickets.

Now that we know you have a CAA class 1, we pretty much know that you will get an FAA without a problem. Yeah, consider doing it in Naples (though you have been told it will cost $75 - that's about £53...can you beat that at home??)

Written exams?? Go to your local airport, sign up for some groundschool (ideally) and do the written exams - and R/T practical before you travel (if you can). If not - just buy the books (NAC may be able to have them delivered to your home!!) and start studying.

On the subject of R/T - at PPL level, pretty much all of the stuff you use in the UK will work in the USA...but what they teach you in the USA will not all work in the UK.

knobbygb

October is not (really) a long way off. Weather-wise, 1st June to November 30th is hurricane season...but the peak periods are August and September. CHances of a storm in June or November are virtually nil - though we had a small one last November...that ran into December. Fooled them all.

October still has its chances....you just have to get there and find out (in real time). There is no way of forecasting them!! Even if they come, it's normally only a couple of days of down time - till the winds die down again....unless it's a direct strike from a Cat 4 or 5 storm...and then, flying will be the least thing on your mind.

E-mail NAC with your questions....they will respond (it's their job!!). If you want any specific advice, post the question here - or send me an e-mail through pprune, and I'll try to help.

tommymcg
19th May 2002, 20:36
I have recently completed my JAA PPL training at BFC. I found the school to be an exteremely cool place with none of the money grabbing tatics that one hears about. I would recommened that you do your training in a Warrior as there are only 2 152's and a 150. Remember this is a CAA approved school at an attractive price and so cheap and cheerfull go together but most of all it is freindly.:)

VORTIME
21st May 2002, 20:57
I did a FAA PPL last Feb in NAC and stayed in the Student Accomodation.

Training - excellent
Accomodation - good
Area - good
Prices - good
Weather - Hazy!

Fantastic organisation, I hope to visit sometime and do my FAA IR. If Charly is still around, he's a really dedicated instructor!

p.s. are we all forgetting the exceptional airport Naples is? Great GA terminal, good learning envoirnment etc.

Best of luck
VORTIME

Just another student
21st May 2002, 22:04
Charly is a top guy:cool: But then again a majority of the other instructers are!Including Katja who is a top guyette (pardon the pun)

rossco18_uk
23rd May 2002, 10:08
Well as I said before, Naples are sending me out a brochure on CD which apparently holds a 15 minute video on naples Air Center. I am awaiting it's arrival. All I need now is the go ahead from my work that I can have the last two weeks in Sep off. Another question though. many of you have suggested doing some of the writtens before I go. If I signed up to a flying club and just asked to do the writtens, is this not a bit cheeky as you are going away to fly somewhere else or do you sit the writtens somewhere else? Also, how do i get an FAA Medical (the thing that allows you to fly solo in the States)? I already have a CAA Class 1 Medical as I have already stated. The reason was I wanted to be sure I could go commercial.

Regards,

Ross

Just another student
23rd May 2002, 12:28
NAC will arrange an FAA medical for you, dont worry it is nothing like your class 1!I think it costs $75 and the medical centre is around 30secs walk away from NAC!Yes you do need one to fly solo and must carry it in the plane at all times(along with your CAA one):)

Keef
23rd May 2002, 13:01
Don't do the writtens at a UK flying club. I doubt many would know how to teach for the FAA exams anyway.

Do the study at home, with the Gleim books - they are excellent. Just learn it all, and you'll pass nae bother. But learn it WELL, because the oral bit of the checkride is harder than the writtens and the same subjects come up. In fact, the bits you get wrong in the written are listed on the certificate, and the examiner will concentrate on those to see you've learned it properly now.

There is a chap at Norwich who can do the writtens for you, using the Lasergrade system.

Then, for the checkride, use the ASA "Oral Exam Guide". That's ESSENTIAL. If you learn that book off pat, you'll pass that bit too.

SkyCruiser
23rd May 2002, 17:10
I must say it is so good to see so many poeple looking forward to be going out to Florida to complete their flight training. It brings back some very happy memories for me as I did my PPL about 8 years ago in Florida.
I have been out there 3 more times to hours build and just loved it.

I fly for an airline now, but I must say that some of my most enjoyable flying has been in the US ,cutting around those blue warm skies.

I am going back out to Florida in September and I can't wait.
Maybe I will meet some of you there.

All the best to you all, and enjoy it.:)

Tyke returned
24th May 2002, 14:46
Don't know why you are asking about FL in Oct - you've been talking about going ever since I've known you and how long has that been.....?

:)

knobbygb
25th May 2002, 06:39
Tyke, it's definatley happening this time! Honest! Training is going well and I might (hopefully) be finished before October anyway.
Drop me an Email as I can't find yours and it's turned off in your profile.

jfe117
26th May 2002, 01:42
After years of "talking the talk", I have finally started to "walk the walk"!!!! :D
Just started my JAA PPL with Naples AC.
Nothing but praise for the staff and the facilities!!!

knobbyGB
Don't worry about asking them for "partial" courses, Justin should be able to sort you out with whatever you need, he's letting me do my training weekends only!! (I'm a 9-5'er in Miami weekdays).

GoneWest
26th May 2002, 03:12
None of my business - just idly curious....if you live and work in Miami....why do a JAA licence instead of FAA??

jfe117
27th May 2002, 11:51
Gonewest......it is none of your business;)
I'm only here on a contract, and both it and my visa expire this Nov.
Then it's back to Blighty....or maybe Holland!!!!!

spils
27th May 2002, 16:19
I have just returned from florida where I trained with Britannia FS who I would definitely recommend. They are known as one of the friendliest flight schools out there, and I had a fantastic time and am still depressed about being back in the UK with all this lovely weather!! (NOT!!)

I did look into numerous schools out there before I parted with my hard earned cash, including NAC and OFT, but they appeared to be that little bit more expensive. For example, the NAC PPL cost didn't include accomodation when I looked, whereas the Brit FS did so that was what swung it for me being on a rather tight budget.

If you want me to give you any more info on it, then drop me a line. I'd be pleased to drone on about my time in FL to someone who was STILL interested!! (I get the impression that my colleagues are all a bit bored with hearing about it!!

notice
28th May 2002, 15:49
Don't wish to join the 'my favourite' Florida flying school (or employer) guys on here but there are some genuine posts and problems.

One problem, in training anywhere, has always been finding out how much it will all really cost to get to the stage when you will have a valid application. They will say how much an hour it will cost for hire and instruction and multiply (by the minimum) to give a cost but..... many omit to mention that you may not make it in the minimum AND all the extras, such as exam fees, medical, landing charges, RT, books, night rating, etc. Another con. is that you can't actually use (booked, not available) the aircraft type which was quoted and cheapest. I prefer the Warrior but it won't be as cheap as a 150. If you go abroad, there will be more 'extras', such as accommodation and transport. Are they included?

Also, the potential problem of not being able to pass in the minimum time or at the first attempt is a common cause of trouble. If you are not on a fixed price package, the school and instructor make more money if you have to take more time to be ready for and 're-sit' exams. That is one reason for course which you thought was £4 k ending-up costing £6 k., before the other extras!

The only answer to the above is that any reputable school will supply a WRITTEN quote of all the costs associated with any of their courses and confirm exactly what is included or extra. If they won't, don't go there, whether the school's in Florida or Farmer Giles' fields nearby.

Some people don't have 3 weeks or £3k for a PPL and it may be cheaper in the Third World but the USA is the sensible choice for most. It is not only the cost but the fact that you can actually get the flying done which makes it so appealing, relative to here.

However, don't assume, or be fooled into believing, it will be easy or pleasant and forget theme parks and parties, until you've finished. Prepare yourself, as far as possible, for plenty of studying and flying. Apart from acting as though they are on holiday, another mistake a few made, or seem to attach great importance to, is the personal side- 'friendly' etc. Remember that they don't choose you or any of their students and, when all is said and done, you are there to accept instruction = do as you are told. The attitude of the owner, CFI or Chairman, as well as other people, is important at any flying club or organisation, but rather irrelevant in a short course. For that, your priority is the true cost and the likelihood of passing. Most estate agents and financial advisers are extremely friendly and attentive, like front men and agents for flying schools, but only because they hope you are another sucker for their slimy selling skills !

Some of the schools abroad are British, which is important as the latest rumour is that others are actually foreign with a token trainer listed by the CAA. However, every school will have some locals and you mustn't assume that Americans will appreciate all your habits or humour. I was told that we are usually dirty (high temperature/humidity requires regular showers and changing into clean clothing) and very mean (don't tip properly). As there have been millions of UK visitors to California and Florida, plenty of people are already bored with Brits. and some, such as Irish Americans, are often 'anti' so, as you come from a distant and minor island, where you have been taught to speak some quaint version of their language, just behave like a humble and polite foreigner, in awe of their aviation and everything else in their country.

Hope the above advice assists.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
28th May 2002, 21:24
Which schools have you seen that do not include this because all the schools I have seen include all the exams etc.

In addition, what is the point re the owners of a flight school. As I understand it one of the biggest schools on our own British soil are owned by an American Company!!!

As long as the school abide by the JAA and are approved this should not be an issue, however I do believe that the schools I am familiar with have British owners. I am not familiar with anywhere else but I believe that is the same as Jerez and SA.

GoneWest
31st May 2002, 03:20
With only one exception - all the advertisements I've seen for JAA approved schools out here do make it clear that their "quoted price" is based on the minimum flying time required by the syllabus...and that any additional flying time will be charged at the current aircraft hire rate.

The one exception - which I find very scary is the advert that promises a "guaranteed pass" .

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jun 2002, 06:22
The rules concerning flying training in the US have, or are about to be changed.

It will no longer be possible to undertake flying training on a tourist visa as before. You will require a FULL visa which you should obtain from the American Embassy in your own country. This new rule may or may not apply now. But you should check - before making any arrangements.

Sensible
11th Nov 2003, 02:51
A guaranteed pass is a guarantee IF YOU COMPLETE THE TRAINING THROUGH TO THE CHECK RIDE. But, how about this scenario. Mr punter pays money up front as required, three parts through the training, Mr Boss of establishment decides that Mr punter is just not up to the “Guaranteed Pass” so tells Mr Punter that he is not suitable for the guarantee and points to the small print in the contract which Mr Punter signed giving Mr Boss the right to terminate Mr Punter’s training at Mr Boss's sole discretion and make all sorts of outlandish administration and other charges like charging for the training and aircraft rental to date at the “standard rates” which means that Mr Boss throws back a few crumbs to the hapless Mr Punter who wonders off into oblivion - Been there, seen it happen!

Name and address supplied on request!

mad_jock
11th Nov 2003, 21:53
I was chatting to some CAA examiners a few weeks ago along with a few other FL graduates.

And we actually managed to get one of them to go into a mild shock with some of the things we were telling them about.

I don't know why the CAA dosn't write to everyone that passed at that school with a no come back if you grass them up line.

I know that I would be more than happy to stand up in court and tell all.

MJ

Name and address if required also

Sensible
12th Nov 2003, 00:17
mad_jock,

I was chatting to some CAA examiners a few weeks ago along with a few other FL graduates. And we actually managed to get one of them to go into a mild shock with some of the things we were telling them about.

You were either holding back or you don’t know as much as some of us do otherwise I'm sure that they would have been traumatised :sad:

mad_jock
12th Nov 2003, 01:20
:D

To be honest its not really our problem. All the officals in the land know of him.

I will and do tell it like it is to anyone I come across who thinks about going there.

But if trading standards won't do anything about the advertising.

The mags keep running the ads.

The CAA won't follow up any of the reports sent to them about the school.

All we can do as ex students is make sure we spread the info by word of mouth.

Its a shame really, it would be a great set up if not for one person.

MJ