PDA

View Full Version : Co-op land sale and Leicester Airfield

Monocock
27th Feb 2014, 08:53
With the Co-op selling off all their farms (as announced this week), I was surprised to hear from an ex-colleague there that they are also selling the airfield.

Can anyone verify this?

golfbananajam
27th Feb 2014, 14:57
All I know for now is that the Co-op are the landlords and their whole estate in that area is (or has) apparently been put up for sale. No doubt the club will be looking at options but this isn't going to be an overnight result

Sir George Cayley
27th Feb 2014, 16:56
If the club buys the airfield how many divi stamps will they get?:rolleyes:

SGC

Monocock
27th Feb 2014, 17:50
If the club don't buy it (and I sincerely hope they do), I'd be interested to know who the selling agents will be.

golfbananajam
28th Feb 2014, 07:42
Announced on BBC radio Leics this morning that the club intends to put a bid in for the land

golfbananajam
28th Feb 2014, 07:44
lots (but they'd be pretty worthless) :ok:

Sir George Cayley
28th Feb 2014, 09:29
I wish the aero club well and hope they can come to a deal. However, the Co-op needs money, Leicester needs housing (they say) willing seller/buyer could be a deal breaker.

Perhaps, depending on how the land is divided the future of the field could be safeguarded and incorporated into the development.

You never know, might even be some hangar homes on the peri track.

SGC

Monocock
28th Feb 2014, 09:45
It's certainly the best organised and most friendly club I've visited.

FlyingOfficerKite
28th Feb 2014, 12:35
Another one bites the dust?! - Of all the potential options I suspect aviation will be one of the last on the list.

Quite a few airfields in my logbooks that no longer exist - hopefully this will not be the case with Leicester.

thing
28th Feb 2014, 16:16
Best get down there before it shuts then. They only refurbed the kitchen last year as well. Always thought it was a nice little place, be sad to see another one go.

strake
28th Feb 2014, 16:43
Leicester was the first leg of my qualifying cross country from Sywell back in the day. Although I had no idea at the time I was landing at the Co-Op, I think the 'Landed' stamp in my log book was probably worth more than a divi stamp ...

Monocock
28th Feb 2014, 17:37
thing

I think it's highly unlikely to close. If the members don't buy it, I'm confident (in fact I know) that someone else is very keen to do so and operate it as it is now.

thing
28th Feb 2014, 17:45
Ah good, it's only a quick jaunt down from our place. Nice little run on a lazy afternoon.

Pilot.Lyons
28th Feb 2014, 18:36
Monocock

Pleased to hear that, i have flown in numerous times, its one of my favourite places to go!

thing
28th Feb 2014, 19:05
It's about time we all had a bit of a fly in somewhere.

Monocock
28th Feb 2014, 19:11
I'd be pleased to come along. :ok:

Who's the usual organiser of such things?

Happy to help out. :)

thing
28th Feb 2014, 19:34
Young Gheng organised the last one at Sherburn a couple of years ago which was good. About ten of us there if I remember right including a couple of lads who came across from Dublin which was a pretty good show I thought.

Doesn't have to be anything uber organised, if we all agree an airfield and a date we can just turn up, or maybe go to an already organised do and meet up there. There's a fly in at Old Buck in April for example. Anybody up for it besides Mono and me?

Saab Dastard
28th Feb 2014, 20:41
Start a thread, invite suggestions for venues & dates, try to arrive at a choice that satisfies the majority. Pray for decent weather!

I'm happy to sticky if it helps.

SD

Monocock
28th Feb 2014, 22:03
What, like this one? :ok:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/535052-pprune-spring-fly.html#post8345578

Saab Dastard
28th Feb 2014, 22:27
Gosh, you had one prepared earlier?!! :)

SD

Dawdler
4th Mar 2014, 22:51
The restaurant at Leicester has a good view over the airfield where every take of and/or landing can be watched and of course comments made.:D

Ampage
5th Mar 2014, 15:13
It certainly does have a good view of the runway.. much to my detriment when I made an absolute howler of a landing there not long after I passed my skills test :O

Sir George Cayley
7th Mar 2014, 19:15
You walked away what's the problem?

SGC

Pilot.Lyons
9th Mar 2014, 20:43
Haha yes me too, i did a kangaroo hop ☺️