PDA

View Full Version : Good flight schools in Southern Spain or Portugal

BARThompson
26th Feb 2014, 12:35
All,

I am currently planning a summer holiday with my family. While I am there, I would like to do some flying and wanted some advice/recommendations on flight schools in the region. I have a JAR PPL with Night and IMC with 170 hours or so. I havent flown for a while so would like some refresher training. We will be looking at The Algarve or Costa Del Sol principally.

I have come across a few old reviews of flight schools in this area, most notably, Gerry Breen's school in Lagos (who I flown with and would happily fly again), Aerodynamics in Malaga which I haven't read great reviews about or Fly-in-Spain at Jerez (not read any reviews on).

Does anyone have experience with any of these flight schools and or knowledge or any others they would recommend/avoid.

I am looking for a school which is English speaking with excellent instructors and good quality aircraft. I am not fussed about price - I would rather pay more and get better instruction and aircraft!

Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

Many thanks

pablo
27th Feb 2014, 08:56
Bart,

there are a couple of threads about Fly-in-Spain in the forum, if I'm able to locate one of those threads I'll post a link here.
If I'm not mistaken the user "mad jock" is the HT for that school.

I have been out of touch with aviation for some time but a humble word of advice would be that whatever flight school in Spain or Portugal you decide to hire the aircraft at, visit it in person before paying any fees. Check the state of the aircraft, etc...

Regulatory and tax pressure in Spain right now is extreme and it leads to cutting every imaginable corner.

Southern Spain should be the "European Florida" regarding aviation and flight training due to the awesome weather, year round, but instead, the scene is very much dead.

About a year ago I renewed my licenses with Canavia, in the Canary Islands, if that destination would be attractive for you. The school IMHO is very well set up and the owner is an aviation enthusiast.

flybymike
27th Feb 2014, 10:24
If I'm not mistaken the user "mad jock" is the HT for that school.
You are mistaken.
You could contact [real name removed] (Bose X on here)

BobD
1st Mar 2014, 09:54
Try Here:

Flying Holidays in the Algarve Portugal - Aero Algarve (http://www.aeroalgarve.com/)

Ken Thomsett is your man. Very friendly and helpful.

Great location for flights along the Algarve coast, and up to Lisbon if you want to fly further .

BobD

molly070772
16th Jul 2014, 15:49
I too wish to look at Jerez and also malaga flight schools to go from PPL through to CPL including IR and multi engine...dont know which to choose - have been looking at flrorida but spain is so much easier to access - have read alot of not so good reviews - is there anyone out there who thinks either of these or any other spanish schools are worth using?