PDA

View Full Version : Name change after class 2 medical

Emkay
25th Feb 2014, 21:17
I obtained my EASA class 2 about a month ago. The problem is, I am about to legally change my name (it's important and unavoidable). Is this going to cause problems later on with my flying etc and the final licensing when I start using my new name? Or would my deed poll be sufficient?

Monocock
25th Feb 2014, 21:33
Changing your name?

You're not a ferry pilot are you? :O

Being serious, just staple a copy of the reason for your name change with your medical/licence. Sorted.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Feb 2014, 21:41
Time was, in England, not that long ago, when you could use whatever name(s) you liked for whatever purpose(s) you liked, just by doing so. There was some sort of thing called a "deed poll" but that wasn't really necessary for anything much and didn't really add a lot.

And indeed I know a lady who changes her name every couple of years, simply by emailing round people and telling them her new name. However as she chooses increasingly unpronouncable names each time I've taken to calling her by the last name but three.

When we got married my wife changed one of her forenames (because her rather had spelt it wrong when registering the birth) simply by getting "formerly known as" written into the marriage register.

Times change, alas, and these days banks and airlines seem to think there's some sort of concept of someone's "real name", which is really a bit foreign to the English tradition. Ah well, at least we[#] got rid of the ID card bollocks, which would have set the concept of "real names" in stone, with your "real name" being dictated by a government computer, rather than by your choice of who you are.

[#] An achievement of Liberal Democrats in government.

Mach Jump
25th Feb 2014, 21:43
I think there are two ways to deal with this.

One is to go back to your AME with some offiocial evidence of your name change and ask him to reissue the medical certificate in your new name. This would be best, then the Licence issue will go smoothly.

The other is to send in a copy of your original certificate, together with your name change evidence, with your application. This may delay your licence issue a bit while they check it out.

Either way, it shouldnt be a major problem. :)

MJ:ok: